Waterproofing pixels

viennaxmas

New elf
Hey brain trust - I set out for the big pixel adventure this season and initially things worked out great (aside from the ton of work involved) until we got a day of serious rain (about 50 mm). Out of 30 Technicolor pixel strings I have on the roof, one is left working as expected.
Is there anything I can do to make them more water proof? Something I can spary on them? (I did buy the technicolor since they are supposed to be better in dealing with water)
Also - is there any hope they recover after drying out?
I am pretty sure it is not the voltage thing since I have already dialed down the voltage as much as possible...

dannyp

Full time elf
I used plastidip on my pixels which are out on some of my trees. I may just be lucky but of the 400 I have not had any failures yet. I did have some concerns as the coating is not exactly clear as its a bit milky but it doesn't seem to take away from the light effect.

I agree its a bit expensive but I would rather spend the money without worrying about water ingress

Danny

DanJ

Full time elf
DannyP--did you plastidip the pixels that look somewhat like regular light bulbs?
Thanks

dannyp

Full time elf
Yes I did. These have the two wires that go in the back. Just soaked them in the dilutes plastidip

u5yhedam.jpg

greg58

Full time elf
If you were buying any of this product, when I had a look on the site, and they have a U.V. specific formula available, recommended for outdoor use. So I would make sure I specify this.