waterproofing with Selleys All Clear

uppitt

Apprentice elf
Just wanted to pass on my experience using Selleys All Clear for waterproofing LED strings (for those who have not gone down the RGB route).

My display is a simple (sometimes overboard) static display. I have a sloping property, so I fill my large garden with lights. I have stuck mainly with some rope light motifs, and alot of LED strings wrapped around trees, lining the pathway etc.

I started using Selleys All Clear following the suggestion from other people here a few years ago. I thin it down with mineral turps (gave up trying to find Toulene, and the safety aspect turned me off), and while it does dry quickly, depending on how much turps I used, it's either near hard once dry, or sometimes a little tacky. But I can say it works...even if it's a painstaking exercise to do. As proof, I actually never quite finished pulling in all my lights from last year. I had 4 BigW icicle strings hanging from my guttering, and left them there all year (everytime I looked at them I told myself I must pull them down). So come last weekend I started rolling out my lights for this year. I actually expected the icicle lights to only be partially working, having lived in the weather all year. Only 1 section of lights (10 or 12 leds in 1 string, whatever the series was) was out, everything else was working. The ones that were out, just happened to be a section of LEDs I forgot to put the All Clear on... I did all the LEDs except these ones...and they stopped working.

So for any newbies starting out and investing in some lights, I can recommend using Selleys All Clear to provide some basic waterproofing and extend the life of your lights. I've seen far too many people (myself included) where new lights start dying within weeks after being in the elements, and the culprit is nearing always moisture.

Benslights

Dedicated elf
Selleys ALL CLEAR is a clear neutral cure (non-corrosive) co-polymer multipurpose sealant, that provides long lasting protection by forming a clear flexible film on top of a surface that won’t crack or dry out. The solution to water leakage and seepage around the home. SELLEYS ALL CLEAR is a high grade water resistant sealant.

davrus

Silent elf
I use a different product...... because it seemed to be the right one when I was in the shop !!!! But no one has mentioned it, so hope it is correct. I liked that it is UV and weather resistant... and the 25 year guarantee !!!!

Selleys Roof and Gutter 75g
Selleys Roof and Gutter Silicone is a neutral (non-acid) cure 100% silicone sealant for most building surfaces including metals, tile, cement sheeting, PVC and COLORBO ® roofing.

UV and weather resistant – Immune to the damaging effects of the sun.
100% silicone means the water is locked out by forming a durable seal and does not shrink when drying.
Non corrosive neutral cure formula.
Excellent general purpose sealant.
Will not attack zinc or cementious surfaces, which can lead to poor adhesion of acid curing type silicone sealants.
Has superior flexibility +/- 25% movement capability & up to 400% elongation or stretch.
Superior adhesion to a broad range of surfaces, resulting in a lasting finish.
Temperature resistance – approximately -60°C +150°C
Has a 25 year guarantee – when used as directed, i.e. for private use and within 12 months of purchase, the product is guaranteed against crumbling, cracking or drying.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
YAGOONA LIGHTS said:
bet you the warranty only covers roof and gutter

WHAT!!! You mean they won't cover generic cheap LEDs from China that have been hacked up and stuck together by hobbyists?!! Unbelievable [emoji1]

franky_888

Full time elf
So whats the concept of use here? Do you thin it out and paint it onto the strings in situ? Or do you make a batch in a larger bucket and immerse the strings into it and hang them out to dry?

My icicle lights have just gone up for their 3rd season, but the water has gotten into the back of the LED's and they've gone brown, if they last this season I'll probably try to seal them up to try and preserve them a little longer.

uppitt

Apprentice elf
I use the paintable All Clear in the 1L tin. It's too thick to immense strings. You just thin it out a little and then brush a small amount onto the back of the LEDs, as generally the heat shrink covers the top of the LED fine. The problem with moisture (as you've seen) is at the wire end.

I just went looking, and I don't think Selleys makes it in the 1L tin anymore.

davrus

Silent elf
Brushable .....
Posting dated March 2014.

I am sorry to say we no longer make All Clear Brushable and have no similar product at this time.

davrus

Silent elf
I'm interested in the answer to that too..... what ratio turps ? How long do they take to "dry out" Could you brush them just before you put them up, so they cure / dry out in situ ?