Weatherproof boxes aus

pmflav

New elf
Found this on masters.
https://masters.com.au/product/101681221/masterplug-weatherproof-box

These are quite big and at $20 each, a bargain.

pmflav

New elf
Nice writeup. Will keep away from that box then. Do you have a link to the box you used?

scamper

Dedicated elf
Yeah, I have a couple of those Masters boxes but only use them for power boards.
If they get a little damp that is OK, but I wouldn't use them for any electronics.

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
Ive have those boxes, 1 has been exposed on the mega tree for the last 3 or 4 years and another is fully exposed and Ive never had a drop of moisture in them?
Also I only paid $10 each for mine at Masters? not a bad inflation rate in 4 years

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I don't think the masters boxes stop water ingress very well when on their side due to the design of the lid and seal. I think these would work much better sitting flat and looks like that's what they were designed for. I would love to see that same test from Lithgow with the box sitting flat instead of on its side as this would confirm my thoughts

pmflav

New elf
I ended up buying 2 of them, cheap enough to test.
I placed both in the shower, one on it's side, one on it's back. Left them in there for about 30 mins.
The one on the side had some water leak in, enough to be a concern. The other, which was on it's back had no water in it.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
pmflav said:
I ended up buying 2 of them, cheap enough to test.
I placed both in the shower, one on it's side, one on it's back. Left them in there for about 30 mins.
The one on the side had some water leak in, enough to be a concern. The other, which was on it's back had no water in it.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts, so these are still a good option as long as they are placed flat instead of on their side.

Goliath

Full time elf
I used those boxes last year. Modified with a fan, "trunk" for extracted air, screened air inlet/drainage at the bottom. I also ran a bit of duct tape across the top edge to discourage water ingress. Had no issues, and we had some pretty decent rain at one stage, an I turned my pop-up sprinklers on towards the end. I DID make sure the pop-ups didn't spray UP into the bottom of the box.

Goliath

Full time elf
I've been perched like a vulture waiting for the solar leds to go on 60% off. Should be able to lop the solar bits off and run them off a Ray Wu controller.

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
yeah, for a company closing down the sales aren't great ... yet

damo1271

Full time elf
The master ones I bought before they had a store in SA were $9.95 each and $6.95 for delivery. They are now $20 each at the store, and I have to go in there. No wonder they are closing up.

As far as water proof, I have had one sitting flat in my garden for 3 years now and the only thing that ever got in there was a millipede.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
2 weeks ago masters was 10% off everything, now its 10 to 30% on the weekend, so I expect that the discounts will get better over time but there will be less stock to choose from.