Weird issue with Null Pixels

tech135797531

New elf
I know there have been many questions about null pixels and typically the answer is to cut the extra pixel and solder the connector (most people prefering to do it in the middle of the strand). I am very late this year (my 3rd) due to health issues, my props are all in, and I would really like to avoid pulling them out and cutting this time. I have a weird yet related issue related to "Set Start Null Pixels". I have:
  • six 99-pixel candy canes, chained up one after the other on the same zone.
  • the first pixel of each strand is loose and then the next 99 are pushed in
  • in xLights each candy cane has set start null pixel = 1
  • everything runs on an F16V3 (ZCPP mode)
Problem: only the first candy cane lights up. The others do not . But if I uncheck Set Start Null Pixels, then they all work (with the first pixel in the grass for each prop lighting up as well).

Last year they were working just fine and I don't remember messing with anything at the end of the season (although it's all a blur). Does anyone have any thoughts on what could be the issue? Thank you so much!

tech135797531

New elf
I'm also attaching the visualizer and properties of the first couple of candy canes, but they are all the same (copy/paste)

Visualizer.png

CC1.png

cc2.png

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
So, what you need to do is make a bunch of 1 pixel strings and put them in front of each candy cane. This will give you the 100 for the string but 99 for the model. If the model says 99 and you make 1 start pixel a null it thinks it is 98 then.

Just remember to not put any effects on the single pixels. :)

Gero67

New elf
So, what you need to do is make a bunch of 1 pixel strings and put them in front of each candy cane. This will give you the 100 for the string but 99 for the model. If the model says 99 and you make 1 start pixel a null it thinks it is 98 then.

Just remember to not put any effects on the single pixels. :)
Hi Indigpgyre

I've just done this for my new 99 node candy canes, and it works ok when I apply an effect to individual canes or the cane group, but when I use the all house group the null pixels light up. I only have each individual cane in this group.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Gero

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
Are your 1 node strings also in the all-house group? Double check the group and make sure they haven’t been added.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
In the sequence, make sure you're on the "Master View" view.
Find the prop that represents your single node. Double click it to expand to the strand, and then double click the strand to show the pixel level data.
If you see any colours there when you have a whole house effect, something is setting it.

For example, this is from one arch, but the concept is the same
1699825276269.png

If you then right click any of the colours, there is a menu option "Find Possible Source Effects" at the bottom
1699825360245.png

This then brings up a dialog with the search results. In this particular case, you can see that there are four possible effects that are affecting this one pixel
For this particular node:

1699825523660.png

1699825475566.png
I know in this case the Yellow is coming from the Single Strand effect, which is taking precedence on the red which is coming from Butterfly on the whole house.

Attachments

• 1699825428822.png
    1699825428822.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 0

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
Group all the null pixels together, put them at the bottom on the view sort order and just add an off effect tot hem. That is a quick way to handle it.

Skymaster had a good thought in making sure you did not add the "String" into any groups as that lights the entire string and not just the desired model.