Welcome to AussieLOR - What forums/discussions are desired?

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Welcome to the AussieLOR group.

I'm seeking information on what boards you would like to see within the LOR area of the forum.

Please throw ideas into the ring.

Cheers
Phil

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
Re: Welcome to AussieLOR - What boards are desired?

Based on what I've suggested at the google group, I'm going to say the following:

1. I'm New To LOR... What Do I Need To Know?
- this forum would be closed for new thread posting, but allow replies to existing threads. Moderators can move useful discussions here that would really help out new commers to LOR - especially those referring to AC + DC and what the difference is. Why? They will need to know the difference if they are to use the next two forums correctly.

2. AC 240V LOR
- anything and everything relating to the AC range of LOR plus the types of lights you can connect (such as it being a bad idea trying to dim lights if a transformer is connected

3. DC low-voltage LOR
- info regarding LEDs, disabling controllers, and suitable voltages needed to run some lights on DC.

What about the existing CCR section?

Robbo

Full time elf
Re: Welcome to AussieLOR - What boards are desired?

The heading is kind of confusing for this thread :)

I was thinking boards as in PCB boards/controllers.......until I saw Ryans reply and understood

the way I see it we can attack this in 2 ways....both ways rather than one over the other.

after joining this group I have been introduced to new hardware and software before that I thought it was only LOR on the market and only imagine I wont be the only one, so there will be those who will jump at the chance to make a change for what I (my opinion) think is the better regarding where this hobby is going.

Then there will be those who like the plug n play that LOR offers and will be hesitant on changing but should still have the option with obligation to change.

For myself I plan on integrating existing LOR equipment 3 X AC controllers into a new DMX environment and adding some tiger boards to the display so the whole LOR/DMX/TIGER relationship and the bits in between will need to be addressed for those in a similar situation.

I have spent the last few days in the chat room picking the brains of some very smart enthusiasts and can only imagine I wont be the last to ask the questions I have in the past few days and would like to see these documented in some way.

I've noticed that the forum can run polls, are these done within the threads or is it a whole site poll? if it is within the thread itself under a specific heading then I suggest we open up a poll/thread in the LOR section asking the following question:

LOR users, now that you have joined with ACL will you be:
A: sticking primarily with LOR hardware and software in AC only
B: sticking primarily with LOR hardware and software in DC only
C: sticking primarily with LOR hardware and software in AC and DC
D: integrating new hardware into my display and running LOR through DMX with compatible software
E: throw LOR away and start fresh with all new hardware/software

any other suggestions for options?

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Robbo

sorry for the confusion, i have change the thread slightly, i want to get an idea about discussion areas.

The single large list in the group was often hard to follow, i don't want to break it up to much as many discussions about lights/power/displays are common regardless of what controller you are using.

and i don't want to impose my thoughts onto a successful group.

Ryan:
1. OK
2. OK
3. seems to cross over into a lot of the info already being discussed, maybe title it "LOR DC" ?

Is there a need for "LOR Software"?

Phil

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
With the announcement by Dan of an expanding Cosmic Color range, could I suggest renaming the CCR forum to Cosmic Color Range (still CCR - lol) including the Ribbon, Bulbs, and Floods?

mrpackethead

Full time elf
How about a place called " i have no idea what i'm talking about, but "..

Might become the busiest part of the board..

Lol...

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
That's what the I'm New section is about - eventually there should be some info there to help the absolute newbie such as explaining why AC and DC are different and what you use each one for.. yes it must be done.