Well it is time to say Hello

Elecgreg

New elf
I use to do a Xmas display at my home for a couple of years back in the mid 2000s however it was never automated or have any bliky lights except for those that came as blinky lights so it was all lights and cutouts with a few rope light outline figures with some of them being indoor and some being outdoor so it was a real conglomeration at the time.

With this lock down my situation has again changed and I have decided to start again with 2021 being the time to exhibit again.

Being a newbee to this type lighting system I am giving myself time to have a play before it becomes a big rush which it will inevitably end up being as it is always the way.

I have one question to begin with and it may seem a little silly that is which system to use for A) Expansion of the display over time and B) cost of equipment needed to start a basic display.

I have decided on cost alone to avoid the LOR system. However I'm not sure on weather Arduino controllers will integrate with the systems that are available as this could provide the control of 240V elements that I already have using relay control or should I just loose those elements. (convert to RGB as time and funds permit). Also have already purchased not arriving until next year some time that being 5 X 50 RGB individual addressable type WS2811 5V if memory served me for about $50 so all in all a good beginning to play with and discover what can be done.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Welcome to ACL
It's a good move to stay away from LOR. It's too expensive for what it does and the sequencer has nothing on LOR.
If you're wanting to go with a fairly DIY option then using a Pi Zero wireless will give you a fairly powerful tool and you can expand it lots or if you want more connection options then a Pi3B+ will do lots and you can keep using it for years as a pixel controller, a panel controller and/or to run your show. With Falcon Player installed on it you can control up to a few thousand pixels or up to a few dozen P10 panels. It's really a much better option than an Arduino.

Elecgreg

New elf
There is a consideration wireless or net as the area I has isn’t small 40M frontage and 35M from nature strip to house just a little bit of space to play with. Have to do the garden again as the sheep went home and the rain came now the heat of summer need to get that mower going again.

Attachments

• A40A3A2F-9867-465F-9366-81B5A95C5285.jpeg
    A40A3A2F-9867-465F-9366-81B5A95C5285.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 89768002-5FC9-4EF2-8F65-58BC8276B7E2.jpeg
    89768002-5FC9-4EF2-8F65-58BC8276B7E2.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 84505B8C-5285-4EA9-9210-87142E4505EB.jpeg
    84505B8C-5285-4EA9-9210-87142E4505EB.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
If you do want to use some of your old 240V lights, there are some 2nd hand LOR boxes around you can pick up cheap. Or if the 240V lights are ones with a transformer then @AAH has some boards that can control them once you disconnect from the transformer.

Alan also has some cheap Pi Hats that control pixels if you want to start small with some RGB

Elecgreg

New elf
That is what it would be small RGB as have only ordered 5 50 light strings refer initial post so want to learn more before my tax check comes and the money can be allocated for bulk goodies. There is one other consideration to make is Vixen or Xlights. Currently looking at the xlights so maybe that will be the option I choose.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
XLights and Vixen both have Aussie developers as part of the team and they are members of ACL. Xlights has by far the fastest development cycle and probably has more features than any other sequencer. Because it's free, has awesome support and awesome features it has become the most used sequencers especially with users on ACL.