well its UP

Lenny

New elf
after almost 6 hours, a serious sunburn and some creative language my mega tree is finally up. 8 metres tall and 3200 LEDs. Im making a star to go on top but that will have to wait for another day.

Attachments

• IMG_1028.jpg
    IMG_1028.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 137

the grinch

I guess I could use a little social interaction
Wow very cool 8m high . I have a 6m high tree with only static light display have plans to change to smart pixels . Have always wondered about how high we can go without getting in trouble from council. In ten years no one has said anything about mine being to high but wow 8m high impressive. Nice work be great to see it lit .
663e9dbf0d95d1cb01e16c943672571e.jpg

Lenny

New elf
poor picture. the video won't load because of size

Attachments

• IMG_1031.jpg
    IMG_1031.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 92
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    910.3 KB · Views: 72

B_P_J

Full time elf
You know you have trouble when the Tree is that large even the Video wont upload, lol,
Looks fantastic, brings new meaning to the word Mega Tree,
The guys in your local Air Traffic Tower would be jealous, that your tower is bigger, ;)

Lenny

New elf
It does have a star. With 600 LEDs to make it twinkle. I really need some ideas for the rest of the yard, I've been so focused on this I've forgotten to plan the rest of the display

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 43

Richie4540

Full time elf
From past experience with Ham radio towers I think the limit is 10 meters before needing any permits, the only other consideration is where it might fall, I.e. Can it hit any powerlines if it was to fall.

P.s. Great tree by the way,

Richie

Lenny

New elf
After being hit with a heat wave and some severe winds on Monday i have some very sad news.
My mega tree melted. Yes thats right melted, the heat so intense the centre pole decided to bend in half, the base stayed on the ground while top was almost touching the ground. I have been away for work since the Monday the 30th of Nov. luckily i was passing by home not long after it happened and was able to pull it down.
I made a few calls and got some new material dropped off to be able to rebuild it. But with the high fire dangers that are currently on, Ive only got this afternoon, tomorrow afternoon and Saturday morning to get it all back up again before heading away fro work on Sunday morning until Xmas eve.
so a few upgrades
25mm RHS total height of 8m with 4 guide wires at the top
has now been replaced with 38mm pipe with 3mm wall thickness. now has centre bracing with another set of guide wires at 3.5m up as well the guide wire at the top. Hopefully this won't happen again.
with upgrading the mast to heavier material i have added more weight to the base by the way of weights from my home gym.

Lenny

New elf
The local radio station gave me a shout out on Facebook. They have over 27thousand followers so how's that for exposure?
Also a photo my wife took while I was setting up. Safety First, no Molly's happening at my place.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 67