Western Sydney says Hi!

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Hey everyone!

Mike, aka Skymaster, here - hope you're all doing well in the lead-up to Christmas, and that your displays are all coming along nicely.
I stumbled across this site and it appears to have an absolute wealth of information - so a big thank you in advance to all contributors.

As for my displays - I have not yet had any "specific" idea, but as a former stage lighting tech, as well as a programming, electronics & general computer geek, I really feel I should be doing something to my house. I'm in my late 30s, I now that I have a house, and not a unit, and a daughter who is having her first Christmas - I figured this is a good as time as any to start. My new neighbour also threw up a couple of lights and encouraged me to do the same, so hopefully we can collaborate between the two properties!

I look forward to showcasing some of the end results in the coming time!

keithsw1111

Senior elf
Plan on attending the Sydney mini in 2022. Also find a local member with a display and get yourself a bit of a guided tour.
Where in western Sydney are you.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Plan on attending the Sydney mini in 2022. Also find a local member with a display and get yourself a bit of a guided tour.
Where in western Sydney are you.
Thanks Keith,

Sounds like a plan.
I'm at Lalor Park.
Grew up in your area though, I remember a few good streets 17 years ago when I was living there.

Kent

Apprentice elf
Generous elf
Welcome!
First year with a display myself, but I'm not too far away from you and happy to have a catch up over the Christmas break to share a bit of what I've learnt.

Will reach out via a direct message...

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Welcome to ACL Mike, you're experience in lighting will give you a little advantage, but its not as simple as plugging a couple of DMX cables into some lights! That said, you can add DMX fixtures as some members have moving heads, fog/bubble machines as part of their show.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Thanks Kent - sounds like a plan to me! Two and a half weeks off work will give me plenty of time to start thinking about next year. Or at least budgeting to see if the the CFO will sign off on it ;-)

Thanks Graham - Yeah, completely understand. In all honesty - I was expecting a lot more low-level programming, coding arduinos, talking whacky protocols etc. However seeing software like Xlights and Vixen, running it over ethernet, etc has completely changed my view on it.
Must say - like Big Kev - I'm excited!