Westys Pixicle Matrix

westy27

Apprentice elf
For this years display im building a 150x8 Pixicle Matrix for the front of my house, as i make the project i plan to document it here, but here are the first sneak previews :p
Its a 150x8 matrix split up into 6 25x8 Matrices for storage and other uses. Each one will clip together using buckles on all 8 strands. Each light will be held in by 12mm eyelets, which will be painted black before installing.
Basic layout pictures ....
20120710_145457.jpg
20120710_145710.jpg

westy27

Apprentice elf
An eyelet press, can pick them up for around $100 for a good quality one that punches the hole and sets the eyelets at the same time.
The ones you see in that picture where done by hand with a hammer, hence look a bit off.
Why did i choose the lattice type matrix? A number of reasons but mainly came down to
less wind resistance as there are gaps everywhere,
And i can change this around to be different size matrices later during the year for other events by simply undoing some buckles.
This is a more labour instensive way of doing Pixicles, but this is what im used to using from when i did Stage Lighting so i know the design works.

Bird

LOR user
westy27 said:
An eyelet press, can pick them up for around $100 for a good quality one that punches the hole and sets the eyelets at the same time.
The ones you see in that picture where done by hand with a hammer, hence look a bit off.
Why did i choose the lattice type matrix? A number of reasons but mainly came down to
less wind resistance as there are gaps everywhere,
And i can change this around to be different size matrices later during the year for other events by simply undoing some buckles.
This is a more labour instensive way of doing Pixicles, but this is what im used to using from when i did Stage Lighting so i know the design works.
Sounds very interesting. Will make sure I follow your progress. :)

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
Good work Westy, cant wait to see the end result in action.

I managed to complete my 6 meter long Pixicle section (longest single section) today with no problems. I'll start the next section tomorrow and then work out what additional power injection is needed

westy27

Apprentice elf
Well, Finally have a update. I was deployed on short notice and havnt had much of a chance to play with the pixicles but they started going up today and look great, only half is up at the moment.
On the 3rd and 4th panel, the bottom row is not connected yet due to a connector shortage, hench why it looks a little funny.
Videos uploading now.

Attachments

• 20121118_150416.jpg
    20121118_150416.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 20121118_150506.jpg
    20121118_150506.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 54

westy27

Apprentice elf
unfortunately due to my trips away, i have not done all the programming i wanted in LSP so this year it may just have to be madrix effects, which is a real shame.