What am I forgetting?

AlexB

New elf
OK so this year we're FINALLY going Sequenced, we've started early enough to make something happen, and we're about to start spending the big bucks to make it happen... so I just want to make sure i'm not forgetting anything...

Firstly - here's what we have already:
  • 10 x 5m lengths of WS2811 strip
  • A WiFi based controller for the strip (which won't be used)
  • 12 x 10m lengths of dumb RGB string (in 19 segments)
  • 2 x 27ch Ray Controllers for the dumb string
  • A whole heap of 12 and 24v off-the shelf light sets
  • A PC ready to drive it all
  • A few reels of wire for extensions \ injection
So here's the shopping list:
  • LSP Advanced @ $249
  • J1Sys P12 @ $299
  • 10 x Ray's new RGB dumb icicles
  • 8 x Ray's RGB dumb strip
  • PSUs for the new icicles \ strip (2 x 12v 400W)
  • Controllers for the new icicles \ strip (2 more 27ch DMX controllers)
  • Pigtails for all (Total price from Ray $606 before I ask him for a discount)
  • AAHMega60 for all the off-the-shelf sets $250
  • PSU for the Mega60 (1 x 24v 400W) (Another $20-30 from Ray)
  • Ethernet (blue) cable to connect it all up + run the DMX out of the P12
  • Crap shack of heatshrink
Did I miss anything?

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I would be tempted to plan on running your show from a Raspberry Pi rather than off a PC. It means that for several hours every night your pc isn't dedicated to running a show. There is plans afoot for a pixel board that attaches directly to a Beagle Bone Black which is a similar sort of thing to the Raspberry and will run something similar to the Falcon Pi Player (now Falcon Player). This board will have more outputs available than most people will need and is planned on being cheap. Also in development is Xlights 4 which brings the power of all the Nutcracker effects to a sequencer sorta similar to LSP, LOR and Vixen 3. It's free too :)

What you do appear to be missing is a few hundred dollars in boxes and glands depending on how you build things.

AlexB

New elf
Thanks Alan - The PC belongs in my drive rack. It does nothing during November\December at all - so it's perfect to dedicate to running the show.

I have glands (bought a box of 1000 cheap a year ago) and boxes will only be needed for the mega60, as the two other controllers will be indoors.

I'm pretty set on LSP at this point. I've heard everyone's views on different packages - but i need something that is more plug and play, and more user friendly, and less 'powerful but takes more to learn'. For what i'm running, there isn't a need for the flexibility and power that other free, but complicated packages.

Thanks for the input. You did remind me of something i'd forgotten (boxes)... anything else anyone?

gerry

Senior elf
Do you have enough PSUs - you mentioned 12V and 24V dumb lights , but 12V PSus for the icicles only unless that serves two purposes. You should get some extra PSUs.

Are you planning on having outdoor speakers as well as the FM transmitter ?

Fuses ..

Power (extension) cables

I think you covered the water proof boxes (with appropriate ventilation)

Will you be using your home router/switch ?

Tools - eg crimper , soldering iron ...

arw01

Full time elf
+1 on extra power supplies, they never seem to be enough of those.

Zip ties or rolls of velcro.

More cat 5 of longer lengths then you think you will need unless you plan to just buy bulk and make your own. Some folks have just cut one end off and soldered on Ray's 4 core pigtails to eliminate the corrosion issues copper cat 5 will have someday.

So you are all dmx correct, no other protocols at all?

Extension cords for the AC stuff, I have way more money in those than I ever expected to have!

Have you joined the facebook group on LSP? If you have questions post up there or here or in the chat (but that does not seem too lively lately).

The nutcracker V4 version does look interesting, and it's export function at 10 frames a second could be handy for some effects that are tricky in LSP to do.

let's hope our rewrite hits early summer so we have some time to pound on it, but I am just continuing to sequence next years songs now as it was WAY behind last year.

i13

Dedicated elf
Is the 24V power supply for the store-bought lights? If they are labelled as 24V AC they will usually require a different DC voltage.

mborg10

Michael Borg
I second the zip ties but also electrical tape. It's amazing how much these 2 things can hold your display together.

AlexB

New elf
Thanks guys - I didn't really include anything that I could pick up at my local bunnings \ masters - i've definitely got Cable Ties, electrical tape and 240v extensions, and after several years of a 'hybrid' display (plug and play with RGB strip and string) i've got all the tools.

All my dumb stuff is running off Rays boards (for some reason, everything just works really well for a group of 9!) and the store bought stuff is going to run through the M60. The 24v PSU is for the M60, and will supply most of what I have store bought. I've got a few months to play so if other PSUs are needed I can work with that.

At present i've only got the WS2811 strip - which will run off the P12 (which will also output the DMX) ...

Everything above ordered today, so now it's play time!

(Well actually - now it's waiting time... but play time will come soon enough)

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
I did not see any mention of a E1.31 switch or DMX bridge

Will you be running the DMX from the P12 ? or from the E1.31 switch through a bridge ?

-Blu

AlexB

New elf
bluzervic said:
I did not see any mention of a E1.31 switch or DMX bridge
Will you be running the DMX from the P12 ? or from the E1.31 switch through a bridge ?
-Blu

AlexB said:
At present i've only got the WS2811 strip - which will run off the P12 (which will also output the DMX) ...

scamper

Dedicated elf
I know this thread is a few months old, but something I found last year I used lots of was cable.
I originally bought 100m roll of 4 core alarm cable, then ended up buying another 200m of the stuff.
It is amazing how much you go through when you start running all of the elements out into the yard!
And yes cable ties, 3000 I ended up ordering :eek:
Also, I may have missed it, but waterproof plugs and sockets are your best friend.
If for nothing else, but you can change position of your elements and just make a different length extension

nzlongfellow

Dennis from NZ
Christmas @ the Myrtle (Michael) said:
I second the zip ties but also electrical tape. It's amazing how much these 2 things can hold your display together.
I agree with these and I use a lot of self amalgamating tape. water proof and lasts better than electrical tape outdoors. Scotch® 23 Linered Premium Rubber (EPR)

darylc

404 darylc not found
nzlongfellow said:
Christmas @ the Myrtle (Michael) said:
I agree with these and I use a lot of self amalgamating tape. water proof and lasts better than electrical tape outdoors. Scotch® 23 Linered Premium Rubber (EPR)

I have used the Nitto brand in another hobby with great success - looks a little cheaper than the Scotch.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/Service-Aids/Tapes/Other/Self-Amalgamating-Tape---10mt-Nitto/p/NM2826

Daryl