What are you changing this year? Elements you are building or installing for 2023

JacksonHo

New elf
This year I've got 5,000 5cm 5v seed pixels, made a new star for my tree using MarkM's method (lots of hot glue) and upgrading my tree to 24x130 pixels (65 up 65 down) with power injection at the end so it won't be much bigger but double the density. The star came out great, it's so light but a lot of work! :)
What do you mean by 65 up and 65 down? Are you doing 1 inch spacing instead of 2 but offsetting the pixels somehow like sticking the two runs together but offset by an inch? If that makes sense….

Just tossing up doing a mega tree with seed or bullets but there aren’t a lot of examples with seed to understand best way of doing so.

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
These did not take much effort other then pushing in 100 pixels per prop. The tombstones are only half done though. If you look closely there is a square opening for a single P5 panel. I'm currently working on the P5 portion to add to the tombstones. Some process is good and they can always go out as is.

Skulls and Tombstone.jpg

Last edited:

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
Well, I was going to wait but I was just too excited I put it together. I've been looking and pondering how to get the P5 panel together ever since last year and finally decided to actively work on it this week. This was the first one and I did not take any pictures of putting it together. When I build the second one I will take pictures of that process.

P5-Tombstone01.jpg

bpratt

Senior elf
Well, I was going to wait but I was just too excited I put it together. I've been looking and pondering how to get the P5 panel together ever since last year and finally decided to actively work on it this week. This was the first one and I did not take any pictures of putting it together. When I build the second one I will take pictures of that process.

View attachment 23250

yes please, I'm keen to see how you've done it, as I'm going to try and do the same.

algerdes

Al Gerdes
Changes -
A "singing bulb tree" is being cut down from its original 17 feet tall to two trees about 10 feet tall, each.
Several matrix panels are getting a change to their borders so that they sit closer together when joined together.
6 arches (out of 24) are being retired and replaced by 6 fans. So far we really like the look (on the screen in xLights.)
18 arches are being moved to "stand-a-lone" locations around the park.
2 new (to us) AC trees will be deployed near the front entrance of the display.
A whole village (thanks to DirkNirkle) will be added to Santa's Village.
Our 8 foot by 16 foot matrix is being moved to a location that does not have constant power. (This should be interesting.)
We are bringing back (out of retirement) a couple of 14 foot tall mega-trees. (We have our fingers crossed for few problems.)

New -
A new "mega-tree" will be added to the display. We are aiming for 26 feet tall (min) with a 4 foot wide sphere as the topper. 32 strings at 2 inch centers (~100 pixels per string). Each string will be individually driven, with the hope that we won't have to power inject. (Wish us luck.)

Other than that, not much changing this year.

DarkwinX

Full time elf
Hopefully doing a small Halloween show this year mostly so I can see how all the new additions and changes work. I'll be adding some roofline pixels and around 6 diffused HDPE arches. I'm also adding another controller box to my collection.

1000005387.jpg

Dreamin

Full time elf
What do you mean by 65 up and 65 down? Are you doing 1 inch spacing instead of 2 but offsetting the pixels somehow like sticking the two runs together but offset by an inch? If that makes sense….

Just tossing up doing a mega tree with seed or bullets but there aren’t a lot of examples with seed to understand best way of doing so.
Yep, exactly that. So I have 130 x 24, but it's 65 up, offset and 65 down so effectively 1"/2.5cm spacing ish but allowing me inject at the bottom from the input power. I've also expanded by F16v3 so that I can have each string on it's own port, mainly because I got really frustrated last year with a port playing up and it was knocking out 1/3 of my tree, so this year, shouldn't be as bad. Plus these strings aren't easy to wire as there isn't a lot of wire between pixels at only 5cm so I've havent' even bothered putting an out pigtail on them.

JacksonHo

New elf
Yep, exactly that. So I have 130 x 24, but it's 65 up, offset and 65 down so effectively 1"/2.5cm spacing ish but allowing me inject at the bottom from the input power.
How are you keeping the up and down runs togethe, just at the top and the bottom or another way?

bpratt

Senior elf
Hopefully doing a small Halloween show this year mostly so I can see how all the new additions and changes work. I'll be adding some roofline pixels and around 6 diffused HDPE arches. I'm also adding another controller box to my collection.
I'm guessing that controller box is sitting down flat with the way the vents are located ?

Dave_Szoka

Full time elf
This year will be a maintenance year… going through all my props and controllers checking them and upgrading / fixing where needed.

big part of this is a re-build of my master controller box.. now a pelican case with truecon and ethercon connections

the picture is of my fixing all my cores that run out to my differential receivers though out my display
IMG_8840.jpeg

Also building a website / blog and going to integrate Remote Falcon out it.

for anyone interested in what Ethercon is this is where I buy the connectors from
RJ45 Waterproof Connectors

Last edited:

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
In order to make sure I am not behind too much I had made a personal goal to put together at least one HD prop a week until they were all done. Right now I am focusing on things that will go into my Halloween show. While I could technically say I met the props goal for the week that did not seem good enough. So, feeling extra energetic after having to work only a half day I decided to work on the next HD prop.

I preset Rosa Wreath 01! (Two are planned for the show)
RosaWreath01.jpg

Dr.Venture

New elf
hmmm went with a new Boscoyo mesmerizer (1117 pixels) its HUGE. I have 5000 pixels on a slow boat form China heading this was. Also working on putting together a 5x7 P4 panel display, but my power distribution boards are back ordered so waiting on that. and i think that blew most of this years budget. Now to go back and rework some of my more favorite sequences.

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
hmmm went with a new Boscoyo mesmerizer (1117 pixels) its HUGE. I have 5000 pixels on a slow boat form China heading this was. Also working on putting together a 5x7 P4 panel display, but my power distribution boards are back ordered so waiting on that. and i think that blew most of this years budget. Now to go back and rework some of my more favorite sequences.
Rework all of them, you might find you like some a lot more now that you have more props and elements.

Iain

Full time elf
First year on my own house, so I'm doing lots of conduit, clips, magnets, drilling holes, and I would like a couple thousand more pixels to finish it off!

Making up controller boxes. Making up 4 identical boxes, with 3 of them shown.
ooh, what did you use for the backing plate?