What are you changing this year? Elements you are building or installing for 2023

Johnnyboy

Full time elf
First year on my own house, so I'm doing lots of conduit, clips, magnets, drilling holes, and I would like a couple thousand more pixels to finish it off!

ooh, what did you use for the backing plate?
I got the backing plate from Extreme Lighting Displays. They cut it out with the holes etc already done. Layout was provided by Extreme Lighting Displays as well, but if you use JDeation for your layout it can be cut to suit easily

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
Did anyone make any progress this weekend with your displays?

I've just ordered a 92cm 6-ring coro star for a Mega Tree pixel topper. Decided the 1.2m star would probably be too big for the size of my old school mega tree. The existing Mega Tree star to be retired is a 4-tier ropelight and I think about 86cm wide:
3.jpg

(N.B. this photo is from 2014, it looks a lot more sunburnt now!)

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
After the last few weeks, I took this week off due to some other commitments and tried to plan my next series of props to put together.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Moved my DMX2-24 into its own enclosure, rather than being co-mounted with my yard controller. Gives me the room to run all 12 Bunnings String pigtails out of this case (Rather than the four I had previously) and I was able re-use the hole in the yard controller to add another pixel 4 pigtails which I'll need for the other changes.

Box is simple, DMX in, 12x 2ch outputs, and 24V loop power. The DC-DC converter steps up the 24V to 32V.

Attachments

• PXL_20230805_051659944.jpg
    PXL_20230805_051659944.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
  • PXL_20230805_051636975.jpg
    PXL_20230805_051636975.jpg
    492 KB · Views: 45

Kingfisher

Apprentice elf
This year I'm basically rebuilding... Most of my controllers had issues the require them to be rebuilt. Most of my pixel elements had issues with waterproofing and during the rain they didn't work all to well, so new pixels. Part of my mini mega tree failed last year, I could just replace the bad pixels but I've decided to replace all of them. 4 pixel elements last year just never worked either due to a bad controller, bad connections or bad pixels.

I also had a bunch of issues with inflatables, mostly fans that wouldn't run so I need to investigate that and hopefully fix them.

I'm also adding about 135 dumb elements. Around to fill in dark areas, and lastly adding a gazebo frame to the interactive area to get lights above peoples heads and tie the area together better.

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
Hey Hey Hey,

After taking a couple of weeks off I am back to building and working on things. Finally put together my second Rosa Wreath and it is ready to go.
Rosa02.jpg

Next up is working on some matrix configurations.

bmh255

New elf
Generous elf
Some nice builds in this thread like all years.
I wasn’t going to get to do my lights this year with a new job and hundreds of hours of training to do outside of work, but when the kids made a sooky request, I had to give in.

So time to build up some new controller boxes, and some PVC pipe house outlines.

In my first year was really late planned so managed to make a backyard show for the kids. However this year it’s moving out the front so other kids in the street can enjoy it.

keep up the great work all I love seeing the creativity presented.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Some nice builds in this thread like all years.
I wasn’t going to get to do my lights this year with a new job and hundreds of hours of training to do outside of work, but when the kids made a sooky request, I had to give in.

So time to build up some new controller boxes, and some PVC pipe house outlines.

In my first year was really late planned so managed to make a backyard show for the kids. However this year it’s moving out the front so other kids in the street can enjoy it.

keep up the great work all I love seeing the creativity presented.
Never too late to get something going. Set a small target of 1-2 props first and once they are done if time permits expand.

bmh255

New elf
Generous elf
Oh I will only add 1-2 props this year. Already have setup from before a megatree, 4 mini trees, 5 arches, 4 candy canes, so some house outlines won’t be too much an ask this year.

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
Oh I will only add 1-2 props this year. Already have setup from before a megatree, 4 mini trees, 5 arches, 4 candy canes, so some house outlines won’t be too much an ask this year.
It's amazing home much some house outlines impacts the entire show. My first year I did not have any house elements and added them in for the second year and such a difference. One of the best advice given to me was to make sure NOT to leave out vertical house outlines. They do lend so much to everything.