What do you run your 12v power supplies at?

burner

Full time elf
I have 5 or 6 12v Ray Wu power supplies running this year. I noticed an issue yesterday with 1 universe of my display during a test pattern from the J1SYS P12R, where data would stop flowing to the elements on the end of the line, and where it stopped, the previous 10 or so pixels would flash on/off.

I injected power like there was no tomorrow and that extended the problem out a little bit further. When I added more injection towards the end, it didn't help any further.

Eventually I put the multimeter on it and at the end, I was getting around 11-11.5v. My PSU was set to 11.8v. Once I bumped them up to 12.45-12.48v, all my issues went away. I actually have all my PSU's in a central location, on my balcony, and the width of my block is 20m, so no run it longer than 10m from the PSU.
Funny thing is, I have a double garage on 1 side and a single on the other (with identical elements, except longer on the double garage side) and it was the single garage side giving issues (i.e the shorter side).

Anyway, is there any issues with running it at a slightly higher voltage?

dale82

Senior elf
I had a similar issue but mine turned out that I needed a null pixel not power injection. I had the same flashing but on the garage and I added a null pixel and she was all good!

burner

Full time elf
I have a 2 null pixels in that string, but the longest cable length is only about 2.5-3m between pixels. Both sides go from the balcony to the window motifs on either side, then across to the ridge of the roof then down to 3 tint tube poles.

In my testing, I added null pixels in some places, also replaced cables too.

burner

Full time elf
Thanks Fast Eddy, just what I needed to confirm. I started on my Christmas tree today (putting it up), but just came in due to some rain. We're having crap weather down in Melbourne.