What is the best 5V pixel out there now?

Greg.Ca

Apprentice elf
I currently use a 5050 WS2812b 5Volt version usually in flexible strip form or rigid strip form. Is there a better brighter pixel out now? I'm currently buying these pixels in 74/meter which really rocks!!

I know that there are monochrome white only 5630 pixels out now with a advertised brightness brighter than the 5050 but I want to know if my selection of pixel is still the best out there. How would I know if a better brighter pixel becomes available?

--Greg--

i13

Dedicated elf
I have never found anywhere in my display that I'd want more than 30 LEDs per metre but if you're purely wanting more light output then there is this http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/addressable-1m-144LEDs-m-DC5V-WS2812B-led-pixel-strip-waterproof-in-silicon-tube-with-144pixels-M/701799_32570640015.html
For some reason the 2 metre version is US $17 per metre instead of $15.
I searched 144 in Ray's store and there are more options. Note that the power injection requirements will be more when you have more pixels per metre.

WS2801 can be slightly brighter than WS2811 and WS2812B because WS2811 and WS812B are limited to 18.5mA per colour. Never seen them side by side though.

I have seen the 5050 and 5630 white LEDs alongside 5050 RGB LEDs and yes I agree the white has better light output.

Greg.Ca

Apprentice elf
What you have showed me is just the SAME pixel just closer together. What I'm looking for is to find out if there is a better or brighter pixel out there. You have showed me the same WS2812b just closer together. Is there a better pixel than the WS2812b?

Thanks --Greg--

i13

Dedicated elf
I know it is the same pixel closer together which is why the total light output will be higher per length of strip. WS2812B is limited to 18.5mA per colour in each pixel so there probably aren't brighter WS2812B options out there unless the quality of LEDs varies.

I answered the question of whether there is a brighter pixel than WS2812B. The answer is WS2801 but the difference is likely to be minimal (may not even be able to tell) unless you can find ones that have multiple LEDs per pixel for a larger total light output. I have not seen them side by side though so it would be best to ask if anyone has.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
The quality of leds varies immensely. If you compare the light output of Ray Wu pixel nodes with Stellascapes pixel nodes which run at a much lower current but use much better quality leds you can see the difference that quality leds make. Realistically though the brightness of most of the strip and nodes is sufficiently bright that the only real need for brighter pixels should be so that you can limit the maximum brightness and thus reduce power consumption. Most led lights are visible for hundreds and hundreds of metres so unless you are trying to saturate an area with light the extra brightness is overkill imho.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Based on a quick read after I posted I'm guessing that the Advatek pixels are quite bright as well. I don't know the specs of their pixels but they state on their website that they use genuine Cree RGB leds. I don't know if this covers both nodes and strip but the Cree leds are probably towards an order of magnitude better than what Ray sells.

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
I have been playing with APA104 strip and am very happy with the brightness of it so far.

There are several newer types coming out as well and of course things are always changing so fast in this tech world nowadays that you have a hard time keeping up with it.
I had an email from one of the other Chinese companies just last week about another new style LED strip that is supposed to be brighter but unfortunately I deleted that one so no link to give you.

There is also talk about the new RGBW strip stuff over on the DIY forum. Of course that will require different software and/or hardware changes so no idea if it will catch on easily or not.

arw01

Full time elf
"Better" is a bit generic. TLS3001 pixels are "better" by those of use that like color purity. Stellascapes uses a different chip and Andrew has stated they use extremely tight binning for theirs vs what you buy that are likely their rejects.

Budget comes in there too.