What is the "Perfect" tree?

sfleck

New elf
David_AVD and i were having a chat at bar in the chatroom (i know at least one of us was having a rum and egg nog) and looking for the aesthetics of the perfect christmas tree.

we knew 2:1 was a bit skinny maybe, and that 1:1 was too fat for even Santa to hide behind.

i found this ...
http://letsplaymath.net/2007/12/21/the-golden-christmas-tree/

what are your thoughts considering we are creating pixel trees ... almost virtual reality trees ... and does it matter between 2D and 3D to the viewer?

TIA
s.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
There is no right or wrong answers here as each person will design their tree based on their own requirements

Steve22537

Full time elf
Had a little look further through the article linked, and noticed there was a reference to "The Golden Rule" - what looks beautiful to the human eye. The ratio of 1:1.618 is the one I'm going to use, and because the length of the arms are 3.6M (steel square tube) the base diameter will be 2275mm with an overall height of 3440mm plus the topper. The topper plate will be 150mm in diameter. I can raise the whole tree off the ground to increase the overall height to 4M, will have a total of 16 arms with provision to double it if required.

Just a idea that's now on paper and published worldwide.

Steve

dale82

Senior elf
during the day my tree looks like a spacecraft lol everyones tree will be different due to budget constraints and yard size etc.

multicast

Senior elf
Fasteddy said:
There is no right or wrong answers here as each person will design their tree based on their own requirements

Mmmm, i disagree, and i'll tell you why. For the past 2500 years or so, some very smart people have looked at this. Pythagoros, EuClid, Leonardo ( not Davinci, but of Pisa ), Kepler, Rodger Penrose just to name a few mathmaticans because thats what i studied. but its been well covered in the arts as well. The Golden Ratio appears regularly in geometry. Its so important that the ratio has been given a Green Letter ( phi ). ( how do you do greek symbols in here ). It is appealing to the eye.

There clearly are wrong answers to this question. A super skinny tree is a pole and it looks dumb. Clearly wrong. A super wide tree, ends up looking like a bike wheel on its side. Again looks dumb and clearly wrong. From those two extremes we move in, moving from extremely wrong to less wrong, till you hit something that looks great.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Qiang Fu Kiwi said:
Fasteddy said:

Mmmm, i disagree, and i'll tell you why. For the past 2500 years or so, some very smart people have looked at this. Pythagoros, EuClid, Leonardo ( not Davinci, but of Pisa ), Kepler, Rodger Penrose just to name a few mathmaticans because thats what i studied. but its been well covered in the arts as well. The Golden Ratio appears regularly in geometry. Its so important that the ratio has been given a Green Letter ( phi ). ( how do you do greek symbols in here ). It is appealing to the eye.

There clearly are wrong answers to this question. A super skinny tree is a pole and it looks dumb. Clearly wrong. A super wide tree, ends up looking like a bike wheel on its side. Again looks dumb and clearly wrong. From those two extremes we move in, moving from extremely wrong to less wrong, till you hit something that looks great.

This is true if looked at as pure engineering, but pure engineering doesnt take circumstance or personal tastes into consideration and in this hobby these play an important role as well.
Most have built their tree without using a calculation because it looked good to them for where they planned to install the tree, this was the method i used and many others have used. There is an engineering calculation and that is great to know, but in the end we are all different and most will design their tree on personal tastes or circumstance rather than calculation. The results in most cases will be very similar for most, but I have seen trees of many varying ratios that look great because of how and where they have been used.

mborg10

Michael Borg
Re: What is the "Perfect" tree?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you want something classic looking then copy everyone else's but if you just like to be different, well the world is your oyster.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Re: What is the "Perfect" tree?

You could do what I did and just copy someone else's tree from their posts ( thanks Fasteddy) [emoji3]