What is the pixel amount limit on a single power supply?

Dizzy

New elf
I have a F16v4 with a single Meanwell 350W 12V power supply. Can I load every port with 300 pixels (at 30% brightness) for a total of 4,800 pixels powered only by this single power supply? If not, how many more power supplies would be needed to support 4,800 pixels? Would it change if each prop was 25 ft. away from the controller/power supply?

merryoncherry

Senior elf
350W is generally underpowered for a 12V 16-port controller. There are usually 5A fuses on the ports, so 80A for the whole board, but a 350W 12V PSU is going to do ~30A.

But you asked about a specific scenario - 4800 pixels on a 350W PSU. This depends on the pixels (a regulated pixel may be .6W, but the more common 12V resistor pixel is .3W). Resistor pixels also have the trait of using less power as the voltage drops, so 300 at 25' distance is not going to be able to draw 5A, maybe 2.5A, no matter what you do. If you loop power around to the back of the end of the string, then ~4-5A.

But you also asked about 30% brightness. 30% of .3W is ~.1W, times 4800 pixels is 480W that they would take on full white (which is admittedly rare). Still, makes you think that a bigger PSU / second PSU would be more appropriate for 16 ports if you are going to load it up.

For these reasons, I never kit out a 16-port controller with just 350W. I'm usually building it in March or June, with an unclear purpose, so make it dual PSU in case I want to use it with a lot of pixels.

Dizzy

New elf
350W is generally underpowered for a 12V 16-port controller. There are usually 5A fuses on the ports, so 80A for the whole board, but a 350W 12V PSU is going to do ~30A.

But you asked about a specific scenario - 4800 pixels on a 350W PSU. This depends on the pixels (a regulated pixel may be .6W, but the more common 12V resistor pixel is .3W). Resistor pixels also have the trait of using less power as the voltage drops, so 300 at 25' distance is not going to be able to draw 5A, maybe 2.5A, no matter what you do. If you loop power around to the back of the end of the string, then ~4-5A.

But you also asked about 30% brightness. 30% of .3W is ~.1W, times 4800 pixels is 480W that they would take on full white (which is admittedly rare). Still, makes you think that a bigger PSU / second PSU would be more appropriate for 16 ports if you are going to load it up.

For these reasons, I never kit out a 16-port controller with just 350W. I'm usually building it in March or June, with an unclear purpose, so make it dual PSU in case I want to use it with a lot of pixels.
Thank you so much the quick and detailed response. Fortunately, I do have an extra power supply on hand so I will add that to the controller, splitting the outputs evenly across the two. Also, I think I can get away with 20% brightness.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
. There are usually 5A fuses on the ports, so 80A for the whole board, but a 350W 12V PSU is going to do ~30A.
Keeping this in mind, most controllers have 30A input connectors on them. So 2x 350W 12V power supplies is a decent match to a board that has Two 8 channel power banks.
Putting bigger than 350W PSUs in this case is a pointless unless if you're going to run one power supply into multiple inputs and also include some power injection points.

Dizzy

New elf
Keeping this in mind, most controllers have 30A input connectors on them. So 2x 350W 12V power supplies is a decent match to a board that has Two 8 channel power banks.
Putting bigger than 350W PSUs in this case is a pointless unless if you're going to run one power supply into multiple inputs and also include some power injection points.
Thank you, Skymaster!