1. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

What pin is what???

Discussion in 'RGB Lights - Intelligent Pixels and 3-Channel RGB' started by richardd, Oct 13, 2014.

1. richardd

richardd Full Time Elf

2. Benschristmaslights

Benschristmaslights Dedicated Elf Global Moderator Generous Elf

Find Me On:
    this is why I solder my own plugs on ::)

3. AAH

AAH I love blinky lights :) Community Project Designer

Find Me On:
    It might be like the attachment below.
    The data wire is easy to work out as a multimeter will give you continuity from 1 end to the other on the other 2. Working out which is the + and which is - from there is anyones guess.

Attached Files:

4. BundyRoy

BundyRoy Senior Elf

This is what I would do, but I am happy for others to criticise my technique if it is poor form. First I would email Ray and ask him. Then I would cut the wires between the first and second pixel. This way if it is wrong you only lose one pixel not the lot if you get it wrong (or do you only lose the first anyway). Then I would give it a crack based on rays advice (or a guess if no feedback or not prepared to wait). If it works all good, join wires back up with heatshrink. If it doesn't then it is the other way around. Chuck out first pixel and join wires back up. Good to go. Worst case scenario one pixel down on one string.

I would wait for confirmation of my technique from others though before giving it a crack. There may be other shortfalls I didn't think of.

5. andrewa

andrewa Full Time Elf

Find Me On:
    I had the Same problem with the same pixels. I had ray send me the following diagram
    wiring.jpg
    They are wired up as per the left plug and not the right plug.

The diagram on the right is wrong, but wiring up as per the left worked for me

It is the opposite to all other pre wired I have got from ray

Andrew

6. AAH

AAH I love blinky lights :) Community Project Designer

Find Me On:
    Waiting to get info from Ray will save you from destroying them for this year. The info should get back to you by about February.
    Providing your soldering and heatshrinking skills are adequate I'd go with checking with a mutimeter to see if the +ve and -ve appear to match the picture i posted. If they do then chop 2 out of the 3 wires (no need to chop the 3rd). Try it and hopefully it will work 1st go. Solder the 2 wires back together.

7. BundyRoy

BundyRoy Senior Elf

Was just thinking about this. You are still relying on the colour of the wires to determine the +ve/-ve aren't you as there is still no definitive way to test it. Or can you see a code where the wires solder onto the first pixel.

8. dale82

dale82 Senior Elf

Bundy you can use a multimeter to determine what wire correlates with what pin, So the colours of the wires become irrelavent. as I have found out, the colour wire can change from Ray.

9. OP
    OP
    richardd

richardd Full Time Elf

I sent Ray an email and the just reply with the same diagram as AndrewA sent me. Finger cross I don't blow up the set

10. BundyRoy

BundyRoy Senior Elf

I know what you're saying Dale. I more meant that if you got a sealed set of pixels with no plug and only wires coming out of the first pixel you would still not be able to tell what wire was +ve/-ve. I'm guessing you must be able to see the codes on the first pixel to determine which wire is which.

Good luck Richard. Fingers crossed.

11. ԆцряєсϮ

ԆцряєсϮ Senior Elf

Find Me On:
    You know what wire is what on the wire between the first and second pixel so get a pin, stick it into the +ve wire coming out of the first pixel and use your multimeter to buzz it through. Once you know which is the +ve you'll also know which is the -ve
    Remove the pin and your done...... no cutting or soldering required :D

12. damona

damona Full Time Elf

Have we got a final answer on this? Someone willing to offer a 3 pin drawing and confirm its correct.

13. battle79

battle79 Full Time Elf

The final answer is that each set of pixels you get could have different colours and pin configurations. I've had several myself. The only to be sure is as ruprect said, you get a pin and pierce the insulation at a point where you can tell what the wire is, and then test between that spot and the end of the plug.

For strip you can hopefully do this with a wire before it goes into the sleave. For pixels, find one where you can read the writing on the circuit board to know which wire is which.

Regards,
    Rowan

14. algerdes

algerdes Al Gerdes

Wow, I'm surprised that there isn't a chart in the 101 manual. Or did I just miss it?

15. fasteddy

fasteddy I have C.L.A.P Global Moderator Generous Elf

Find Me On:
    It was left out of the ACL101 manual because consistency can not be guaranteed when it comes to wire colours as there is no set standard