What Protocol is this intelligent RGB

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
I'm looking at getting a controller to run my RGB lights but I'm not sure what protocol they run on. I have attached a picture if that helps.

IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0738.jpg

It is three wires and three led per pixel (well led's come on in groups of three in case i got that terminology wrong). One chip per three lights.

I've been told it's likely to be 2811 but just wondered if anyone could confirm this.

On this note if the protocol used does not match the light can it damage the light. I seem to remember reading it won't work but can't remember if it damage things.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
The pics are nowhere near good enough to read the details off the IC but it's a pretty fair chance that they are 2811. As long as you get the data direction right and the voltage right you pretty much can't damage the chips.

Jago

New elf
Looks like 2811 the pin count is right on IC and 1 wire data.

and being 3 LEDs per IC I would guess 12v

But that only a guess get a good light and magnifying glass and try and read the top of a IC

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Sorry I missed the most important photo. See attached

IMG_0737.jpg

Will get a magnifying glass out and look on the top of the chip.

Jago

New elf
The DIN DO will tell you direction

DIN is Data In that is end that goes to controller
DO is Data Out that can connect to DIN of another strip.

That copper pads with line through is a cut line. You can cut/join strips at those lines.

mborg10

Michael Borg
The good thing about the controllers such as Joshua 1 systems (j1sys) and many others. You can set it up with different protocols, yours is definitely dc12v and the 3 wires suggest ws2811, but it also doesn't look like any waterproofing is on the strip. These won't be any good outside unless you can waterproof them.

mborg10

Michael Borg
Christmas @ the Myrtle (Damicka10) said:
The good thing about the controllers such as Joshua 1 systems (j1sys) and many others. You can set it up with different protocols, yours is definitely dc12v and the 3 wires suggest ws2811, but it also doesn't look like any waterproofing is on the strip. These won't be any good outside unless you can waterproof them.
Actually on closer inspection looks like they are in a silicon tube. My bad on the waterproofing part.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Based on the 33R resistor which is in the spec for the 2811 as an impedance matching resistor for the data line and the 3k3 which is what should be used for running the 2811 off 12V it's looking a lot safer to say that it's definitely 2811.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks for the replies. It's definitely in a waterproof sleeve. I had a look at the chip with the magnifying glass. I had a good look and I can't see anything written/stamped on the top of the chip. I'll just give it a go set up as 2811 and go from there. If it comes to the worst and I can't use it then I'll have another excuse to go to Rays.