WHAT TO USE FOR A LARGE MATRIX

bassnbuck

New elf
I was wondering what people use for matrix, pixels or strips? also how close to have the pixels together? And is there a software that could handle some video clips on the matrix? And on the pixel/strips side of things which one works better ws2801 or ws2811 or something else all together? and my last question is the whole 5v or 12v for a matrix.

tmcteer

New elf
This a cool project was posted on DIYC using polycarbonate panels for green houses. You could build a section and add to it as budget allows.[SIZE=78%] (not sure if it's ok to link to another board)[/SIZE]DorkbotPDX Led Video Wall

Tom

G

GoofyGuy

Im going to say 2811 based on the opinion of many. Less wires, less chances of cold solders, no complaints of reliability so far from last season. As for construction there are hundredes of ways. How big are you trying to go?

hdracer

There is no rehab for the CLAP
2811's are nice! As far as voltage goes, how many pixels & what size grid you thinking?

bassnbuck

New elf
i would like it to be 3'X4' or 4'X4' depending on the numbers with the ability to add onto it if I want to.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
For a matrix you would be best to use 5vDC as voltage drop shouldnt be a big issues as the power supply is close to the controllers as well its easier to connect up.

I would actually use either the black 30 LED/M, 60 LED/M or 64 LED/M digital 5vdc 2811 strip depending on the resolution you want as this will make the build significantly easier and save on drilling all those holes.

I like the idea of the roofing polycarbonate sleeves that tmcteer posted, but i reakon if you want to keep the build cost down then all you would need is a sheet of black coreflute (corogated plastic 5mm or 10mm)and then just stick the strips to that, then build a frame from 25mm electrical conduit to then give the matrix some rigidity. It would be modular, could be made flexible and lightweight.