What type of lights and where to get them from?

Dez

Fueled by Christmas - Inspired by You!
Hi all. This will be my first set up so I need all the help I can get please. Many are telling me I should go with DC rather than AC. I have no idea about what I'm doing so please keep it simple. My question is, what lights should I buy and where from? Can all lights be run on DC power?

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
There's links to most of the commoner RGB lights and pixels in the ACL 101.

gerry

Senior elf
Hello Dez,

Decide on the first few elements that you want to build and then accordingly the hardware and lights that are best suited for that. For example , quite common now is WS2811 pixels (string or strip depending) for a mega tree , 2811 pixel strips for a house outline . For smaller pixel trees , dumb strings , RGB is often used , but equally is pixel strings. "Big W" lights are also often used if you already have them etc . People have different preferences and / or reuse what they already may have had .

Dez

Fueled by Christmas - Inspired by You!
Ok thanks everyone. Is there a minimum number of channels as a starter whilst keeping a decent look to the display?? I just wanted to keep costs down for now.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
bpj1980 posted his video on http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php?topic=3560.msg61862#msg61862
with what I believe is under 30 channels as he's using 1 of my 2801dc30 boards. Being well in synch with the music compensates a long way for massive channel counts. He's used dumb rgb strips for the boards of the house and garage and therefore uses 3 channels where others might use a few hundred.