What went well, and what didn't .....

Goliath

Full time elf
I had less pixels this year than I have for years. I had a lot of people say that my display was the best it's ever been. Seems contradictory, eh? I bought excess strips in 2015, never touched them to this year, and found nearly all of them didn't work. I had a few hundred bullet nodes also bought that year, never used, and found them interlaced with multiple bad nodes.
So the extra blinky bits were generally the old faithful two-wire led strings from Bunnings, Kmart, Big W, and the cheap shops, all controlled through 3 x DMX2-18's, 2 x DMX2-24's, and a bit of DC stuff switched by ye olde Ray Wu 27 channel DMX controller. Pixels were only on window surrounds, door surround, gutter, and my home-made north pole. With two days to go, one of the strips failed (same batch as the aforementioned duds). During heavy rain one night, the circuit-breaker tripped (I had a circuit specially put in for blinky a few years ago). After a few false starts diagnosing the next day, I found I'd made a rookie error hanging up those weather-resistant thingos for protecting joins in extension cables, with the socket facing up, instead of down. Of course, a few drops of water penetrated, ran down the lead, and congregated merrily in the up-turned socket. I am accumulating a large collection of inflatables with stuffed blowers. I know you can buy blowers on Ebay, but they mostly seem a little on the expensive side, and with no prospect of longevity. There must be a better way. One of the DMX2-24's ceased talking to its blinkies one night, (the night after the rainy night), but decided to work the next night. I couldn't see any moisture in the enclosure, but perhaps there was something out of sight. It did work on test and classical mode when it decided to ignore data, and data passed happily through it along the daisy-chain to other DMX controllers. One of life's little mysteries.
My Pixlite16 LR seems a bit iffy. After the show has finished random pixels will flash briefly, as if a little signal noise is being transmitted. My older Click boxes (those grey ones from old Masters and Bunnings) are beginning to look a little worse for wear, and some have probably seen their last summer in the sun (what to replace them with?).
I need more motifs, and I'd like to have a crack at making some of my own. I drool over neon flex, but wince at the price of it.

Disjointed ramble over. Happy New Year all!

MichaelF5

Apprentice elf
isn't it strange how sometimes less is more, I keep on looking around google images for ideas to add for the next few years and deciding that most stuff will feel overcooked with what I already have

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
This was my first year, my only issues were that 2 arches once put together were not fully functional. Otherwise, the biggest issue is working on the display layout and getting some more variation to support more movements. Next year I am looking to add some more props but nothing extreme to slowly grow my show.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I improved the DC distribution (boxes and cabling) in my layout this year and added my newly made pixelised candy canes. Both worked well and simplified setup. I don't have any mains power out in the display, so having a rock solid DC source is important.

What I did have issues with was the ESP8266 based wi-fi pixel controllers. I ended up replacing 2 of them with wired data runs (differential extenders) to solve that. I will be making some improved data extender boards for this year to make tthe wiring even simpler.

Converting the fixed colour flood lights (lighting my wooden trees) to 2811 based units was also a major improvement. Being able to control them along with the rest of the display was nice.

There were a few pixel projects / upgrades that didn't make it into the 2021 display, so I defaulted back to some dumb DC props for those. Although they worked perfectly well, I did wish I had full pixel control over them. Hopefully I get those done for this year's display.

notthemama

New elf
Only running pixels now except for 3 wire motifs that I will convert to rgb. Disposed off 250m of rope lights, multiple LOR controllers both AC and DC and hundreds of meters of leds and props. Other DC/DMX controllers also binned.

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
Discovered I'm nearly hitting my limit on one of my power feeds, so have plans to add more power to locations where power tends to be fed only by large numbers of extension cords, would rather dedicated feeds than daisy chaining extension cords and multiboxes.
Only lost 2 power supplies, one a week into the show and one on Christmas Day, suspected that spiders had made homes and managed to kill at least one, still in the process of getting the other one working again.

Added a second Mega tree dubbed Mini Mega Tree (even though it's 3m tall) and this went flawlessly except for a dead output on the controller, but that was easily bypassed. This mega tree used the clear ws2811 pixels that I purchased earlier in the year in combination with regular ws2811 pixels. The effect the tree gives is unusual as colours aren't "perfect" but as you change your viewing point, the colours shift slightly giving an all around nice effect.

This was my first year running FPP as the show controller and I am really hating myself for not discovering this sooner! I also attempted to run a Master / Slave setup midway through the show, this works reasonably well but I may return back to using standalone player and bridge mode rather than master/slave as there is a very noticeable delay between the master and slave units when a sequence is playing - But only to me. I assume this would look better if there was some greater distance between the items being operated on the master's signal vs the slave devices output.

I did not lose a single pixel (that I am aware of) this year which has surprised me. I did have one broken wire due to high winds, that was an easy fix.

I did have 3 of my wifi switching units (that I use to remotely control all my feed circuits) die on me, two were unknown causes and I was able to get a replacement for both of those at no cost, and one was due to water from heavy rain we had where one of my power distro enclosures had faulty screw inserts and had come loose. Bit of heat from a heat gun and some extra silicon fixed that up

Only one or two stutters but no blackouts, freezes or complete failures of the show which was a great relief.

All in all, everything went a lot smoother than I expected. All lights that I don't take down worked without issues, and everything I put up worked without issues, very little repairing was required excluding the lights I ripped with the handle on the lawnmower. We had large crowds of people come to visit and everybody left happy (Except the couple of people I had to tell off who were being rather stupid and going where they shouldn't be)
Fingers crossed for this year's display!

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Apart from a dodgy F16v3 configuration which was causing flicker & driving me nuts at the start of Dec (a factory reset fixed it) and a couple of props that need a little more power injection attention (a few yellows when it should be white) I had a pretty successful season for 2021. Having double the pixel count of my previous year (2019) was, on paper a little scary but I managed to not blow anything up, so I guess I can add some more this year!

Goliath

Full time elf
Partially packed up, found two extension leads cockatoos had had a nip at. Live exposed on one, neutral on the other.

abundy

Full time elf
Bought a new laptop this year to replace 10 yo lenovo.👍
Made sure all my lan cables were Cat 6 and not a mixture of cat god knows.
Installed boot lace ferrules on all prop data cables and power injection cables and had no issues with cables falling out of connectors.👍
Made a matrix for the lawn👍
Made multiple signs to "stay off grass due to trip hazard"👍
Watched multiple idiots ignore signs👎
Failed to supress laughter when kid tripped over sign that said there was a trip hazard👎 No issues as he fell onto lawn and not lights.
Froze ass off some nights trying to get video of shows. 👎
Only had 3 failed pixels 👍...of course they were all on props on the roof👎
Stood in amazement when i was told off for taking down the display on december 29th, by some putz who couldnt be bothered to come the previous 28 days it was up and running.
All in all a fairly good year.
Already making improvments for next year.