What would you do to control this mega tree?

Dez

Fueled by Christmas - Inspired by You!
Looking at expanding my show this year and have added a mega tree (along with other things) which has 18 strands of 90 pixels each. May not be that “mega”😀🤔

Last year I solely used a falcon F16v3 but this year I have purchased the Kulp 32 as my main board to control most lights. The Kulp board will be too far away from mega tree so I’m looking at what controller to use for the tree.

1. My original thoughts were keeping the falcon as an “emergency controller” and then getting some smart receivers that could connect to the Kulp board and run the mega tree. I assume I can get some smart receivers?

2. Or, would you use the falcon f16??

3. If I use the falcon, how do I connect it up as I’m now using multiple controllers? I use a raspberry pi as the show player for the falcon and beagle bone for the Kulp board. I’ve never used multiple controllers so what would be the simplest setup here?

Appreciate the help.

Last edited:

Katekate

Senior elf
If you want to use the falcon, its simply a matter of adding it as another controller in xlights, then push your config over to FPP. then you can add your megatree strings to it.

(Likely you will be adding your kulp as a second controller, then shuffling your props over to that, but its all the same)

the smart receiver route would also work, if you can get some in.

Dez

If you want to use the falcon, its simply a matter of adding it as another controller in xlights, then push your config over to FPP. then you can add your megatree strings to it.

(Likely you will be adding your kulp as a second controller, then shuffling your props over to that, but its all the same)

the smart receiver route would also work, if you can get some in.
I don’t use xscheduler though. Wouldn’t I need a rasberry Pi or similar as a show player to connect to both the falcon and the Kulp board?

Katekate

Senior elf
you only need one show player. you can use your pi, or just use the bb on the kulp to run both.

you will still want to push your config to it from xlights :D

Dez

Ok, so the falcon can run directly from the Kulp just by using a network cable? Yes I will have to configure in xlights

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Yes, think of the Kulp as two "distinct" parts in the one device - the bit that controls the pixels via wires, and the regular FPP show player, which pushes out lighting data to itself and other controllers.

Reactions: Dez