What would YOU do

jediknight2

Full time elf
I think I know what the answer will be...however. Last year I ordered 700 of these http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/led-pixel-module-WS2801-DC12V-input-IP68-100pcs-a-string-IP68-in-all-black-wires/701799_638369260.html from Ray. They worked great and I only had 2-3 pixels go out, only one of which took the pixels out after it. I see signs on average of about 9 pixels per string of 100 of water intrusion of some sort. Pixels still work under test and I am going to silicone all the jackets before they go up. These lights went up on my roof line. One area in particular is a PAIN to work on and its just awkward up there. Rest of the roof is easily walkable and accessible.

Fast forward to this year I am adding pixels around my windows, garage door and door. I splurged the extra cash for the new Technicolor pixels which look to hold up better against water intrusion.

NOW..last years pixels are cut to length and have connections that would make it easy to put back up with out soldering, etc. My question is..would you

A. Use the technicolor on the roof line all the way around and re-measure cut the strings to fit again. Then use last years pixels on the windows and doors which are EASILY accessed.

B. Use the technicolor on the difficult to reach area, basically one strand, then use last years pixels on the remainder of the roof line. Use the rest of the new Technicolor on the windows, which also means they will then be cut to length for the windows.

3. Not worry and use last years pixels the same way and cut the Technicolors for the windows. Possibly replace the roof pixels next year with Technicolor?

Bird

LOR user
IMO .. I don't like any issues after display is up.
Knock on wood, never had any issues in 4 years.
I would use the better lights on the roof, use the lesser lights at ground level, then replace lesser ones next year.