Whats New in LOR S3 software (expected release week of October 10-14)

aussiexmas

Sinnamon Lights
Bob has just posted a link to a video on the new features in LOR S3.
Comments are very favourable, but I haven't yet managed to get to the video. Discussion is at http://forums.lightorama.com/forum81/26822-1.html:
===================================================
copy of post:
Here's a video giving an overview of some of the changes in LOR 3:

http://www.lightorama.com/LOR3Demo/WhatsNewInLOR3.swf

Edit: It's a pretty long video, so here are approximate timings for its various sections:
  • Intro: 0:00
  • LOR Visualizer: 0:07
  • LOR Super Star: 2:02
  • Channel Groups: 4:33
  • Channel Groups within Channel Groups: 11:18
  • New Paste Modes: 14:44
  • Paint Sequence: 16:47
  • Native DMX Support: 21:17
  • Compressed Sequences: 22:08
  • Custom Keyboard Mappings: 23:55
  • Variables in Windows Shell Commands: 26:33
  • Quickly Changing the Unit Number or Network of an Entire Controller: 27:56
  • In "Insert Device", you can now set the unit name: 29:07
  • In "Add Controller", you can now set the new controller's network: 29:36
  • Select rows or columns directly from the right-click context menu: 30:02
  • Protected Sequences: 30:29
  • Hide and unhide a track with a single mouse click: 32:06
  • Hide the Tools panel completely: 32:20
  • New Information in Tooltips: 32:34
  • Persistent View Settings: 33:34
  • Outro: 34:28
Enjoy

dmoore

Senior elf
Re: Whats New in LOR S3 software

I'm (somewhat) famous! The Monster Mash sequence for my singing pumpkin is on Bob's computer!

Attachments

• MonsterMash.jpg
    MonsterMash.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 30

steve hughes

New elf

is it your pumpkin sequence....or mine???? 8) or maybe Crackers??? 8) sure looks cool tho...now only if it would do 1804 protocall?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? ;)

dmoore

Senior elf

steve hughes said:
is it your pumpkin sequence....or mine? ??? 8) or maybe Crackers??? 8) sure looks cool tho...now only if it would do 1804 protocall?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? ;)
Actually Richard Courter wrote the sequences for the pumpkin but I "bought" them. :)
Well if it supports DMX, which it does, than you could use a variety of controllers to run 1804's instead of SS controllers.
Or, sequence in LOR S2 and run the show with xlights.
Or you could just run LSP 2.0. :)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator

LOR may have native DMX support but what DMX dongles will it support, will it only allow you to use a LOR DMX dongle or can you use generic enttec pro or open compatible dongles. Doesnt seem to mention anything about E1.31.
Still many unanswered questions, will have to wait and see.

steve hughes

New elf

well regarding LSP and LOR....LOR has put the teaser video out there and should be available around the summer sale....when the heck is LSP coming out with their update????(in fairness, they have a video also) Better hurry up...everyone I have been talking to and watching on the forums are waiting on NOT the hardware....but the SOFTWARE to do all the cool stuff!!!No matter what, I betcha everyone gonna have to learn a whole lotta new stuff with all the new RGB stuff....it's just a matter of putting everything together with a more than one network running different protocalls for elements!! In a couple of years, we allllllllll gonna be computer geniuseseseseses!!!!!

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator

steve hughes said:
well regarding LSP and LOR....LOR has put the teaser video out there and should be available around the summer sale....when the heck is LSP coming out with their update? ??? (in fairness, they have a video also) Better hurry up...everyone I have been talking to and watching on the forums are waiting on NOT the hardware....

LSP is currently in beta, as for the release date im not sure, but from the beta testing i have done LSP has come a long way with stability and performance with some nice new added features as well.

Im not sure if LOR is currently in beta yet, last i heard it wasnt, so i reakon it will be at least another month before you see any releases just as a guess.

dmoore

Senior elf

Fasteddy said:
LOR may have native DMX support but what DMX dongles will it support, will it only allow you to use a LOR DMX dongle or can you use generic enttec pro or open compatible dongles. Doesnt seem to mention anything about E1.31.
Still many unanswered questions, will have to wait and see.
I don't know that this is a major issue as xlights will be supporting E131 and pixel net from what I understand.

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator

I'm thankful that a video of features has finally been made public.

But I have to say, I am somewhat disappointed. There are certainly some great new functions but my expectations were higher. I was expecting a refreshed GUI such as:
  • smaller toolbar groups to move around
  • as an extention to the above, the fade and intensity mode tools with toolbar options (instead of a floating window that gets in the way)
  • a customised 'quickplay' button to lessen the repetition of going into the play menu to adjust play range and speeds over and over and over again (e.g. set the quickplay options to play visible screen at 50% speed whilst the other normal play button does what ever is configured in the menus e.g. play full sequence at 100%)
  • possible lack of intensity fine tuning keyboard shortcut (+/- 5%) completely separate of the intensity setting (nothing shown in the keyboard mapping screen). E.g. If selected cell is 40% (example a), or fades from 25%->50% (example b), ctrl and + would alter the intensity to 45% (example a) or fade from 30% to 55% (example b)
The paste mode function looks interesting, but watching the video a fifth mode would be useful - repeat & stretch. That is, repeat the clipboard contents as many times as possible in the selected cells but then stretch the the pattern so that the pattern finishes in the final cell selected and does not start an incomplete repeat. This would be useful in songs with altering tempos!

Hallelujah! The channel name columns no longer revert to a preset unchangeable width! That oversight in the GUI has always annoyed me.

After watching the S3 features video, I am undecided if I'll buy the upgrade to S3, stick with S2, or convert to LSP2.

Decisions decisions!

taybrynn

Apprentice elf

I think xlights is the most likely salvation in 2011.

I'd love to see a piece of DIY hardware that could work like a protocol converter and appear like a set of [fill in the blank] controllers on one side, and then emulate [fill in the blank] protocol on the output side. Perhaps the outputs could be programmable/assignable, similar to how xlights does it in software currently.

I really think that would be a killer device and ensure maximum compatibility.

dmoore

Senior elf

taybrynn said:
I think xlights is the most likely salvation in 2011.

I'd love to see a piece of DIY hardware that could work like a protocol converter and appear like a set of [fill in the blank] controllers on one side, and then emulate [fill in the blank] protocol on the output side. Perhaps the outputs could be programmable/assignable, similar to how xlights does it in software currently.

I really think that would be a killer device and ensure maximum compatibility.
I think you answered your own question - xLights. You can do protocol conversion either in software or "hardware" and it sure seems easier in the software/PC side. Just feed in a standard file format and then output to whatever hardware you want. Or sequence in LOR (if that's your thing) and then run the show with LSP's swiss army knife of protocol interfaces.

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator

Word from the LOR forum is that S3 has entered closed beta testing as of yesterday.

All I can say is finally! :D

Hopefully the testing period does not last for too long, else the public release will occur to close to Christmas for most to make use of the features in 2011.

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf

I agree beta testing should be completed by mid year so that wider beta or full releases can happen prior to when many of us sequence to allow small bug fixes to be done well before the Christmas season arrives.

davidt

New elf

I hope you guys aren't waiting for S3 before you start sequencing, as who knows how long the beta testing will take.

I'm sure there will be some nice features that we will be able to be incorporate into this year's display and some functions will (hopefully) be easier to perform, but I suspect that based on S1 > S2 and the various point releases in between that any previous work done in S2 will be easy to migrate into S3.

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator

Oh yes I have been sequencing with LOR S2 - some songs are completed and ready to go :)

I completely agree - don't wait for S3's release else you will have a huge job to do later in the year.