1. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

What’s the best way of using Universes?

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by Giles1, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Giles1

Giles1 Giles

I’m trying to set up my new show early, as last year I had problems, which I couldn’t work out until a day before Christmas.
    I’m aware of the requirement to set-up Universes, which are up to 513 channels each, but are usually set to 512 (because 3 channels divide evenly into 512).
    What I’d like to know is, what is the best (& easiest) way of setting-up/using the Universes in my Controler/Software (xLights)?
    Last year I set up all of my lights and Universes, so they ran smoothly/concurrently, and there weren’t any gaps. However, should I just set-up each output port on my controller to the next free Universe? If it is OK to leave gaps at the end of the Universe, it would certainly make the setting up process much easier.
    Any thoughts on this topic would be appreciated.

2. AAH

AAH I love blinky lights :) Community Project Designer Generous Elf

Find Me On:
    It's 512 channels and 510 channels actually.
    As far as data transfer goes it's slightly better if you fill the universes as much as possible and don't leave huge gaps as the entire universes needs to be sent out regardless of whether there is 1 channel in use or 512.
    The only real issue is to try to keep props on the same universe and not split universes across multiple controllers. Other than that you can assign and fill channels however suits.