What’s the total number of Pixels supported by a single port, and how can I break a single large prop over several ports in xLights?

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
So I only go up to a maximum of 512 nodes per port. This way if I have any Sequences at 40fps, I won’t have any issues, plus I can also evenly share my channels between the main board and the Differential Receivers.
Good news for us is that xLights takes care of banking.
xLights won't care that you want 512 pixels a port, it will go to the largest prop on the bank. This is good because setting a blanket value (e.g. 512/512) wastes capability.

What I have said is theory.
xLights just tells you if it would work or not.

Giles1

Giles
Generous elf
"Minimum of 512 per port", this tells me you want to set 512 pixels per port on the main board bank, and differential bank.
512 is half of 1024 and 1024 is the max for 20FPS.
680 is the max for 40FPS.

512 x 2 is larger than 680, for 40FPS this doesn't work.

Spoiler content hidden. Log in to see this content.

Question I have:
Are you wanting to use 1 differential receiver for 3 spiny arches? or more differential receivers for 3 spiny arches?
This limits us to how many pixels we need available per port.
Going to my previous post, 1 differential board would still mean bank 2 is set at a minimum of 618. This applies at 20FPS or 40FPS.

I highly suggest you check if you REALLY need 40FPS. xLights defaults to 20FPS.
Bumping it up to 40FPS is dramatically limiting with this large prop.

I'm willing to explain banking in another way if you're still unsure.
Hi Mark,
Yes, after I posted my last comment, I sat down and realised that I will only have a max of 680 Nodes at 40fps. Even if I split them up between the main Board and a Differential Receiver, I will then only have 340 Nodes per port (at 40fps). :-(
As for my sequences, I believe they should all be only 20fps (at least at the moment), so hopefully I won't have any issues. Moving forward, I think a new controller will be the way to go, but that can wait till next year.
I'll have to come over and check out your display, when you have it up and running. :) Thanks again for your assistance.