When does everyone start hanging their lights?

dropbear_luke

Full time elf
Was driving around town today and saw someone starting to put their display on their house. I would have thought it a tad early, as i wouldn't want the uv light disintegrating my lights etc. So my question is... When do u all put your lights up?

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Maybe they were getting in early for a Halloween display??

I try to time it so switch on is Dec 1, and usually get most lights up (previously static displays) 1-2 evenings before Dec 1. Will be different this year as my first controlled display, but it will effectively be the same volume of lights, just plugged in differently, so I'm giving myself a few extra days to iron out any bugs in the system.

That's my 2c!

Graham

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
I basically start rolling things out as soon as it turns to October (so about now!). Whilst visible decorations wait a little while longer, it is things like controllers (covered) and then inside (window) lights.

Then I can work around weather (rain or heat). There's nothing worse than fiddling around on the roof when it is in the 30's or even 40's!

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
ive been doing it for over a month allready, i take my time, an then make sure everything will work cable wise

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
Nov 1. This year I'll have to make a few cables once the gear is out so that gear will be out a bit earlier than normal

toodle_pipsky

Minister of Silly Walks
First weekend in November - although this year I might try last weekend in October. Each year I seem to say "I wish I had one more week".
(Out of curiosity, where was it? Sounds like it might be a biggie if they have to put it up now!)

Benslights

Dedicated elf
I Start Putting mine out the last weekend of october and start running sections at a time as i go along to double check every thing is working. then i know i have everything ready to go for the 1st of December. :D

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
toodle_pipsky said:
First weekend in November - although this year I might try last weekend in October. Each year I seem to say "I wish I had one more week".

Ditto

dropbear_luke

Full time elf
Re: Re: When does everyone start hanging their lights?

toodle_pipsky said:
(Out of curiosity, where was it? Sounds like it might be a biggie if they have to put it up now!)
It was on wareena crescent in glenvale. From the looks of it, they were putting lots of hooks on the roof. Didn't want to stop.

I think ill start putting mine up first or second week of November. Depends on what shifts ill be working. And weather.

JPB

Full time elf
I normally take a day off work and make a three day weekend towards the end of November ready for turn on on the Saturday closest to the 1st of December. I would do tests late each night to make sure everything is working as expected and tweak any sequences as required. I would have had the show running on the PC from the start of November to make sure there are no bugs.

This year I am working in Canberra from mid November to mid December so they may go up a little early so that I can do my testing when I am home on Saturday nights. I will also need to teach my eldest son how it all works so that he can fix any problems that my occur while I am away.

Jon

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
I did my first window frame today, I don't see myself having a lot on spare time this year. I would rather have it up early then rush job it .
It also gives me a bit of testing time on the house in November.

BillInSoFL

Apprentice elf
My display will be radically different this year since I'm switching to Renard controllers and rolling out tons of new RGB pixels. I plan on starting basic setup of the roof outline, etc. the first weekend in November. I still need to figure out how everything is going to be interconnected. Then there's the small issue of creating sequences, which I've yet to start :)

I power-on Thanksgiving day so I don't have much time to play around. The funny part is I'm still trying to find uses for some of the extra pixels I bought. Putting the finishing touches on a mini (350 pixel) matrix now. haha... Nothing like a deadline to increase motivation.

john

Apprentice elf
ryanschristmaslights said:
I basically start rolling things out as soon as it turns to October (so about now!). Whilst visible decorations wait a little while longer, it is things like controllers (covered) and then inside (window) lights.

Then I can work around weather (rain or heat). There's nothing worse than fiddling around on the roof when it is in the 30's or even 40's!

Nothing like being on the roof when its -3 or -4 ;)

tuppetsdad

Funding & Tech Support
Well Tuppet is going to Austria for her job for 4 months from mid November so we have started 1st October. Now have controllers installed and about to put up some strips and icicles. Then some larger stuff over the next 2 weeks. Very early but otherwise we will not be finished before she goes.....and then we need the IP camera so Tess can see the show and try a few more sequences....well hoping so anyway 8)

Bird

LOR user
Well I'm not allowed to put Christmas items out until after the Halloween items are down. (she brings me dinner to the computer a lot, so small concession) :)

I believe most folks in the US start their lights Thanksgiving, so that gives us a week less than those that start up on Dec. 1st.