When is it time?

scamper

Dedicated elf
I have been trying to set everything up in the shed for testing after a couple years off before moving it to the "pending" area waiting for setup.

My question is...
When do you all start setting up your xmas displays?
And I am not talking to the ones that also do halloween as you guys get a pass with being early.

Also, if you start early, do you have an order that doesn't make the yard too xmasy too early?

merryoncherry

Senior elf
20230928_185245.jpg

It's time!

(I start at the top of the house and work down, saving sheltered areas on the porch for rainy days. That way, I can mow the grass for as long as possible.)

Keeping it from looking a mess? I gave up on that entirely. Instead, I am perversely amused by people who walk by and say "wow, looks really good"... like it doesn't look like white plastic circles and black cables and untrimmed zip ties all over.

KiwiPhil

Full time elf
I usually do mid November setup, gives me a couple of weeks to fine tune things and allows for weather

filming and media for any comps and driving lists needs to be done by the 23-26th of Nov ready for the 1st in most cases.

scamper

Dedicated elf
I usually do mid November setup, gives me a couple of weeks to fine tune things and allows for weather

filming and media for any comps and driving lists needs to be done by the 23-26th of Nov ready for the 1st in most cases.
WOW. You must have a team helping you. There is no way I could get it done in 2 weeks.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
My traditional start time to start getting stuff up is the start of November. I have also never had all of my display up. I start with the things that are out of the road and the items that are on the lawn are the last to go in so that I can get a mow of the lawn as close to December as possible. The network and power cables are also later going in for the same reason.

Kartman

New elf
Generous elf
Excluding building new bits and new programming etc, in the last week in November I start testing everything and doing minor repairs, replace pixels, replace o-rings etc. Then 2 or 3 days to install and then lights on 1st December. I tried to make it a 1 day install but, and this may surprise people, my display keeps growing. Or it may be I got lazy and start at 10 and finish by 2, just so I am working in the heat of a NQ Summer. Might have to reconsider that plan.

Dreamin

Full time elf
I'm QLD, so I start now, otherwise too hot for me to be outside on the roof. I just run a few sequences for halloween.
Then testing for Christmas, grand reveal end of November as we are having our work Christmas party at my house because everyone wants to see the lights! Pressure is on this year!

darylc

404 darylc not found
@scamper start when it works for you. I start this weekend for Christmas because that what works for me. I just brush off anyone that suggests its too early.

Zuseleets

Full time elf
I've started now, much earlier than usual for a few reasons.
1. I'm way up north in Townsville and it get too hot in November to set up.
2. Because time is never my friend.
3. Because I want to eliminate any problems well ahead of go time.
4. Because if I decide last minute I want to do something for Halloween, I can because I'm set up early.
5. Because.

scamper

Dedicated elf
I've started now, much earlier than usual for a few reasons.
1. I'm way up north in Townsville and it get too hot in November to set up.
I was basically asking because I remember starting in October a few years ago and getting behind.
But after the last 2 days where I was sweating my ar%$ off I too thought it's gunna be a hot one, and I really don't want to be outside when it hits 40deg trying to fault find etc