Where do I start? Fire recovery Christmas light project.

Scozza

New elf
Howdy folks,

I'm reaching out on behalf our community in Sarsfield, Victoria (Australia). Most of the area was badly burnt in the Black Summer bushfires that occurred after Christmas 2019. Many homes were lost, along with a huge amount of sheds, fencing and sadly Christmas lights. Our Community Association Committee has hatched a plan to try to bring some levity to what will be a very sombre Christmas for the area, a Christmas Lights extravaganza. Foolishly I have volunteered to look into it. Any suggestions on how to get some sort of display happening over an array of rural properties would be most appreciated, my brain hurts just thinking about it.

Cheers,
Scott.

Last edited:

Scozza

New elf
Thanks @Katekate have already looked at LORA for monitoring tanks etc around the farm. Given the timing I think it would be impossible to get $ and set it up. Might just need to go with a repeatable "starter pack" of dumb lights to get everyone blinking. As I mentioned my brain hurts just thinking about it. the only "advantage" is that most of the bush & trees are gone now so you can see neighboring properties that have been hidden for many years. That was part of the thinking behind the blinky lights project, what if all of the houses you can now see had lights, trying to build a community vibe.

Dreamin

Full time elf
I think the idea is a great one. Why complicate it though. Just give everyone a set of regular lights and get them to put them up or help them. The whole area would be lit up. Would be great.

Scozza

New elf
I agree, might just need to go with a repeatable "starter pack" of dumb lights to get everyone blinking. I'm not signing on to do 40 mega trees LOL. I do like the concept of a LORA connected display though.

Scozza

New elf
@BenF I think we will just have to settle for dumb strings & see if we can get hold of enough to give every property a couple of sets. Then I'll have to cook up some sort of competition to encourage folks to get creative :)

dannyWA123

New elf
Given the limited time frame I would agree with Dreamin. How about a basic starter pack with some strings, maybe a power board and a 24hr timer maybe? Is there a local Bunnings or similar store selling lights, maybe try and twist their arm for a deal. These residents need some brightening up after going thru all that.