Where is best place to adjust brightness?

Dez

Fueled by Christmas - Inspired by You!
In the past I have adjusted pixel brightness in the layout tab of xlights. I know it can also be done in FPP. Which do you consider the best place and why?

Zuseleets

Full time elf
Hey Dez. I edit mine in xlights so that if I change my display around each year, the settings move with the model. That way, I don't need to go and change the brightness on the controller. In saying that. I haven't looked at FPP so I couldnt tell you if that is better or not.

algerdes

Al Gerdes
This is another of those "depends". If you need to make sure that a controller doesn't push the lights beyond a specific level - then do it at the controller level. If there is a chance that for some reason you need to push a periodic "bright", then do it at the sequencer level.

In our shows, we do most of them at the controller level. (Those controllers that have the function.)

Jon_101

Apprentice elf
Is it possible to bulk edit brightness for all effects and their layers in one go?

JohnsRdChristmas

Full time elf
@Jon_101 Generally with brightness we talk about output brightness to the pixels, and its something set at a model (prop) level in xlights, you can bulk edit brightness in xlights via the layout tab, select as many models as you want and right click on your house view and bulk edit > brightness.
Can also bulk edit controller connection, controller name etc,

abundy

Full time elf
So if you have your props set for say 50% brightness in xlights, and your controllers set for 50% brightness, does this essentially make it 25% brightness when xlights is lighting up leds.
I ask this as i tend to test my lights using the test patterns included in the controllers, before i test sequences using xlights, and have controllers set for reduced brightness for this testing purpose.
Just wanted to understand what i would be likely to see if both happened to be set to 50% brightness.

Dreamin

Full time elf
Personally I do it in xlights, because when you upload settings to the controller it sets the brightness. If I didn't do it that way it would take ages to then individually program each prop with the correct brightness. Also some props are wired not to be run at 100%.