Where to put pixels and dumbRGB

ShellNZ

Senior elf
In the early stages of working out this years display :)

This year Im going pixels along the roofline and dumbRGB down the "verticals" of the house.

Need some input as to where to put them.

Ive done up a quick diagram below
Rooflinepixels_zpsab31ffc3.jpg
of where Im looking at putting the 2811 strips, drawn in red line.

Now where to put the vertical strips of dumbRGB as Im wanting to do a rainbow effect across the house like Eddys/Kevs?

Thanks in advance.

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
looking at your image,

verticle strips from my perspective I would put
on each side of the garage, each side of each of the windows (minus the thin window immediately to the left of the front door archway), and each side of your front door archways

you could even get some more smart strip and do the horizontal to each of the above. That would look absolutely amazing.

Thats just my opinion.

Christmas on Clarafield

Full time elf
I agree with Matt. Also, do you have anyway to attach strips to the four corners on the upper level? If you could I think that might look pretty cool.

Dave H

Apprentice elf
Exactly what I was thinking,
sorry couldn't paste back in a copy of your house with the new outlines.

For the slight difference in cost, why not use pixels on the verticals and just run then as single color strings. Then you have the flexibility down the road

Beefer

Apprentice elf
yep, that way they can be 'grouped' to easily control them all as one, thereby reducing the total channel count...

ShellNZ

Senior elf
I have a spare M60 free, so will be using dumbRGB for the vertical strips. I will do the top of the garage in pixels though I think.

I will have 1 x P2 running the top gutterline and another one running the bottom gutterline.

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
Trafficman said:
Put it all in smart pixel's.... You know you want to...

Jeff

You might be saying this in jest, but I regret the dumb nodes I used in my display last year (my 1st year).

Handling the power is much easier if you can just inject power wherever you need it, rather than trying to balance load on dmx controllers.

Trafficman said:
Put it all in smart pixel's.... You know you want to...

Jeff

This was my dilemma too and I decided to just use smart strings everywhere. In the grand scheme of things, they are not that much more and a lot of flexibility. It just means it will take a little longer to get there on my budget, which also gives me time to hone my programming skills as the show grows.

Just my two cents,

Brian

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Thanks everyone for input. I decided to go with pixel all over house outline :)

Im just sorting out my dumbRGB strips now that will be going into tubing and put around the entire border of the property as below.

Each color section is 5m, Ive just chopped and changed coloring so I know. In total there is just under 60m on the right side and 15m on the right side.

Ive put numbers where I will be injecting power. Not entirely sure how I will be doing it yet, probably cutting the tubing where the strips are joined and having the speaker/SPT wire running alongside the tubing back to the power supply. The tubing will be silicon/taped back together again. That way if there is a hiccup I dont have to pull ALL the strip out of tubing to find problem, I can just check that area.

DumbRGBpropertyborder_zps2c447edf.jpg
DumbRGBpropertyborder_zps2c447edf.jpg
DumbRGBpropertyborder_zpsed869ef4.jpg

Not sure how I will go about hooking them into the M60 either at this point :)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Dont make your dumb strip any longer than 2 to 2.5 metres so it can still give the effect of the display being all pixels as this will blend in. If you have sections that are too long then this will be hard to create chases across your display.

All my roof line, windows and tiles are dumb strip but many think its actually pixels because ive ensured my sections of dumb strip are not too long so they can blend in with the pixel strip on the gutter to give an illusion of all being pixels.