Which connectors for new display?

ryanatunlock

New elf
I have been researching for a while now. I have purchased an F16V3 and a Falcon F48 (with some smart receiver boards) to play with, along with a couple of meanwell power supplies.

I am just about to purchase some 12V strings and 5V strips to play with (before I place a larger order for my display).

I will be purchasing the lights from Ray Wu, I see that Ray has various options available for the connectors.

I have read that xconnect is becoming a standard for pixels.

Given I am starting my light collection from scratch, should I run with xconnect connectors or is there some benefit in the ray wu connector?

Secondly, I have read it's best to use different connectors for 12V and 5V lights so that you don't accidentally connect the wrong lights. Any advice here? what does everyone do?

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
It's a bit of a personal preference and what you start with.

The xconnect plugs were/are used by various other vendors, and Ray used to sell pixels only with his plugs. It's only recently the vendors started selling all the different types of connectors.

I use the same (xconnect) plugs on both 5V and 12V, but only my pixel tree is 5V and it has it's own clearly marked controller. Having different types of connector for 5V and 12V is a good idea though.

ryanatunlock

New elf
I expect to use the majority 12V lights and so I think I will use xconnect for these. What would be a good option for a different connector for the 5V?

ezellner

Full time elf
Just make sure the connectors you use are standardized so you can get them from multiple different places and they still pay nice together. As far as differentiating 5V from 12 V, use a different number of pin outs. If using a three pin connector for 12V, use a four pin for 5V. All you need to do is make them incompatible and impossible to mix up.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Another thing to be wary of is variance between vendors. Just because they all have an Xconnector, does not mean they are all made EXACTLY the same, and you may find that the connectors from vendor A and a tight or loose fit from vendor B.
Good idea on keeping 5v and 12v connectors physically different to avoid accidents. Most of us probably SHOULD do this but I'm pretty sure majority of us are lazy and don't!

ryanatunlock

New elf
I ended up deciding to use white cable/pigtails for 5v and black for 12V. It means if I ever run out or want to mix it up I still can. Thanks for everyone's input.

scamper

Dedicated elf
I ended up deciding to use white cable/pigtails for 5v and black for 12V. It means if I ever run out or want to mix it up I still can. Thanks for everyone's input.
I was about to suggest this, I do this now, but previously just used whatever I had and marked it clearly, unfortunately, marking them isn't always the best as I have not found any permanent solution for this yet. Any tape I use, usually falls off by the next year, permanent markers fade, I have even painted connectors, but that fades and peels off plastic.
So now I am changing everything to a standard, black for 5v white for 12v

darylc

404 darylc not found
I avoid white pigtails, they tend to burn in the sun.

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
or ray wu for one voltage and xconnect for the other (now that you can get both types from most vendors)

scamper

Dedicated elf
I'm in the process of changing all mine out to automotive type, I have used these for a couple of years and they have performed well, 3 pin connectors & 2 pin connectors. I will be changing out all my controllers with these in the New Year.
I also use these for power injection, I bought a heap a few years ago and at first loved them, but they are not as water proof as they would have you believe and are a little more flimsy than I would have liked, so am moving away from them.

Martys

New elf
I also use these for power injection, I bought a heap a few years ago and at first loved them, but they are not as water proof as they would have you believe and are a little more flimsy than I would have liked, so am moving away from them.
Which connectors are you thinking of using over these?