Which Controller for pixel Tree

andrewa

Full time elf
[SIZE=small]Following attending the Melboirne Mini, I have decided to do a pixel tree.[/SIZE]

I am thinking of 16 strings of led pixels either:
[SIZE=small]360degree emitting 50mm diameter full color ball type led pixel module, pixel node,DC12V or[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]DC12V input 12mm WS2811 pixel node,100pcs with c9 covers[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]My question is it best to get a controller with 16 outlets like the Sandevices E682 [/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]or the J1SYS ECG-P12R with 12 outlets[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Thanks[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]Andrewa[/SIZE]

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
Is that 16 strings of 100, or a lower number per actual string?. The reason is that if it was 16* 50 for instance then you can easily fit that on the P12R with outputs to spare as you could put 3 "Strings", or 150 pixels per output. Many of us have around 50 pixels high on the tree, then multiple runs around. For instance this year I plan on 8 strings of 168 driven off a P12S as my tree is 42 pixels high

ltay13

Full time elf
Community project designer
Firstly full disclosure - I am from Advatek Lights (manufacturer PixLite 16), but I will be as honest as I can.

Those 2 controllers you mentioned plus ours all have relatively the same price for controllable pixel count (excluding shipping differences):

ECG $175
12 outputs - 12 universes total
= 2040 pixels
= 11.6 pixels/$1

E682 $180
16 outputs - 12 universes total
= 2040 pixels
= 11.3pix/$1

PixLite 16 $229.95
16 outputs - 16 universes total
= 2,720 pixels
= 11.8pix/$1 (Update - this is now 23.6pix/$1)

If you only want to run the 16 strings of 100 (1,600 pixels) then I would suggest the E682 because it is about the same price as the ECG but has 16 outputs so simple to hookup. If you want to run any other pixel stuff in the display off the same controller, then really any of them could be picked based on price as you can see above they are basically the same. In that case you would be picking based off features and possibly slightly off price as PixLite 16 is shipped from Australia and the other 2 from the states, which will change the Pixels/$1 a bit more.

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
L_Tay said:
Those 2 controllers you mentioned plus ours all have relatively the same price for controllable pixel count (excluding shipping differences):

If you look at Pixels per $ then you forgot what I think is the clear winner - The J1Sys ECG P2. 8 universes, 2 outputs, 1320 pixels total, at $68 no case, which is 20 Pixels per $

I use 2 of these to drive my Matrix here and cant fault them at all.

ltay13

Full time elf
Community project designer
Yes that's a good point. So if you are willing to connect the strings end to end and do power injection instead of connecting them up directly to their own channel you should use those smaller 2 Channel boards for value for money.

By the way Lithgow, how does your refresh rate going running 4 universes on a single output?

andrewa

Full time elf
Thanks for the reply,

Haven't worked out exact lengths, numbers yet

Excess capacity not a problem, as currently have 0 pixels / controllers

Luke, thanks for the info

Need to start somewhere and the pixel tree is first pixel item, still 4 months to finalise other items

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
L_Tay said:
By the way Lithgow, how does your refresh rate going running 4 universes on a single output?

pretty darn good actually, No real noticeable delays on animations, scrolling text etc. I would not be scaling it up and running HD TV on it, but for a matrix it is great value. I would have no hesitation to run a megatree or similar off it and max out each of the outputs. I am only running 520 pixels per output here though as it evened out the 2080 pixels over the 2 boards, so it's 3 universes and change per output.

adski

Dave Brown
If you look at Pixels per $ then you forgot what I think is the clear winner - The J1Sys ECG P2. 8 universes, 2 outputs, 1320 pixels total, at $68 no case, which is 20 Pixels per $

Another contender is the new E6804 from SanDevices - it's essentially an E682 but with 4 pixel string outputs instead of 16. It can drive 12 universes (2040 pixels) at a cost of $99, which is also around 20 pixels per dollar- even cheaper if you buy the kit for $69 - almost 30 pixels per dollar (plus postage of course).

I should have one to demo at the Adelaide Mini.

Dave