Which lights to use for my RGB MegaTree this year

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
joeengler said:
So I have everything ready now, have one more question. (sorry if it has been answered on another post)
I know that there is a in and out for the strings (Item-1) does the voltage follow the same in or out. If not I understand how to power both strings at the base, if not how do power them from the base?
My thinking is I connect the data and clock at the top then feed the power to both strings from the bottom

Power can be fed from either end as all the power does is just connects in parrallel to all the other pixels. The data is connected in series so there is an in and an out.

So generally people will connect both the data/clock and power to the input side of the string/strip and then inject power between each connected string/strip. Some will supply power from both ends of the string/strip, others have supplied power to the output side only

joeengler

Apprentice elf
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
Power can be fed from either end as all the power does is just connects in parrallel to all the other pixels. The data is connected in series so there is an in and an out.

So generally people will connect both the data/clock and power to the input side of the string/strip and then inject power between each connected string/strip. Some will supply power from both ends of the string/strip, others have supplied power to the output side only

Thanks, I like the idea of feeding power from each end at the base to save having to run a power cable to the top of the MegaTree since I will have 50 pixels going up then connect to the string with 50 going down.
So at the top between the 2 strings do I connect all 4 wires power and clock, data or just the clock/Data since I will be feeding power at the other end

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
joeengler said:
Thanks, I like the idea of feeding power from each end at the base to save having to run a power cable to the top of the MegaTree since I will have 50 pixels going up then connect to the string with 50 going down.
So at the top between the 2 strings do I connect all 4 wires power and clock, data or just the clock/Data since I will be feeding power at the other end

When connecting the strips/strings together and powering from the ends of the 2 strings/strips then connect the power data and clock (all 4 wires) between the string/strips.

If you are supplying power from sperate power supplies to each string/strip then i wouldnt connect the +V, i would only connect the ground, data and clock wires between the strings/strip

People will inject power between the strings as well to reduce any voltage drop. Sometimes even over the length of a 5v string you may see pinkish whites at the end of a string due to voltage drop, by injecting between the strings you will eliminate this if it is an issue for you.

nutz4lights

Full time elf
WayneKremer said:

Sorry for bringing this old post back, but it asks a question that wasn't answered that is directly relevant to my planning for next year's megatree. AussiePhil mentioned in this thread that he was going to use the type of pixel referenced in the top link above, which has a flat back. He then mentioned that he recommended IP68 whereas the pixels in the first link appear to be IP66. The twist here is that the second link has pixels that are IP68 and they appear to be flat back, but if you look really close, you will see that the wire actually come out the back, not out the sides.

As I said, I would really like to use these for my megatree next year, but would want them to be flat backed with the wires coming out the side AND possess IP68 weather resistance.

Can anybody comment that used these? AussiePhil?

Thanks so much!

-Louie