Which pixel mounting strip should I buy....

darrenr

Apprentice elf
I done a bit of searching and I couldn't any direct comparisons on pixels strips.
I'm wanting to build a smallish mega tree this year and will need about 50m of strip.

Three options I have found available in Australia are:

Hansen PIXEL MOUNTING STRIP (50M ROLL)
AU$125.00 ($2.50 p/m)

Boscoyo HD strip (from Extreme Lighting Displays)
HIGH DENSITY 12mm MEGATREE MOUNTING STRIP ROLLS 500FT (152m)
AU$250.00 ($1.65p/m)

ELD Pixel Strip 100M
AU$120.00 ($1.20p/m)

There's some price and min quantity differences and there may also be other options out there.
I'm keen to hear good/bad experiences with these or recommendations on others.
Particularly exposure to sun and weather over several seasons, pixel fit and strength or breakages.
Thanks

LawrenceDriveLights

Senior elf
I can't comment on the Hanson Electrical Strip as I haven't used it
I cant comment on the ELD Pixel Strip as I haven't used it

I can say the normal Boscoyo strip is good, no issues so far with our MegaTree last couple of years and our Junior MegaTree last year, I haven't heard of any reports of it actually breaking and the pixel fit seems good etc.

darylc

404 darylc not found
Particularly exposure to sun and weather over several seasons, pixel fit and strength or breakages.

Based on this, your only choice is genuine Boscoyo strips (HD on rolls or regular strips). Everything else is too new.

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
I'd opt for option 3, mainly because it's an Aussie product and currently available, and the cheapest/m

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
There's only 1 option that you could have tomorrow. It is also the only 1 of the 3 that has the cable tie holes. It's been around for around a year now and it's also the only 1 that ships with 10 strain reliefs per roll. It's also the source of the only pixel pliers that you could have tomorrow as well.
Part of the cost per metre of my strip is because it is a very heavy duty mounting strip and getting it air freighted to Aus costs a significant amount. Shipping via sea freight has reduced the cost but it's not a huge amount and the time lag is shocking. There's a 10% and 15% off bulk pricing as well.

darrenr

Apprentice elf
Alan - I do like the idea of your strip too for the very reasons you mentioned. I'd just like to see the quality and compare to see if the extra cost is actually worth it.
I'd like to do a Pepsi style challenge - physically compare them, at say the Sydney mini (and others if possible).
I'll PM you with my idea...

darylc

404 darylc not found
We did compare samples of Alan's strip with the 2 types of Boscoyo stop at last year's Sydney mini

darrenr

Apprentice elf
Thanks Daryl, I missed that - if you are coming to the Syd mini again this year can you bring please.