Which version of LOR software licence to get?

dropbear_luke

Full time elf
Hi, i think i have made up my mind for what hardware i want. 1x CMB-16D-QC, and 1x PC-CTB16PC. Obviously I will want to expand on this in the future. So i am wondering which software licence people would use for this. I know the advanced would be best so i can ultimately go more then 8 controllers, but i was wondering what other people did. If they started basic and upgraded their licence as their display grew.

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
Why don't you use Light Show Pro for the software it will run those controllers as far as I know and does not limit additional hardware like LOR does such as e.131

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
I guess the question is do you have plans already to expand further in 2013?

The lowest level licence will output to 32 channels, which is what 1x cmb16d-qc and ctb16pc will equal. A higher licence will output to more channels.

Check out the software page with the feature comparison to see how the licence levels differ:
http://store.lightorama.com/software1.html

The advanced tier will do dmx control as well. e1.31 is a feature planned for release in the first half of 2012, which I'd imagine will be advanced tier only.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
One of the big advantages of LOR advanced is that it supports dmx unlike the lower versions. If you want to play with the auto-sequencing feature of Superstar which is a lor addon then it's possibly worth lashing out on superstar at the same time as the purchase.
Have a look at clip below to see superstar in action
Autosequencing without CCRs

dropbear_luke

Full time elf
yeah, im thinking of expanding sometime in the future, but slowly at first. the superstar does look awesome, but as a first timer, i only want to start relatively simple. What did everyone else do for their first time?

aussiexmas

Sinnamon Lights
When I first started, software was version 1 and there were no levels. Everybody who had purchased version 1 was transferred to S2 advanced when S2 became available.

When you look at buying the starter package pricing, the additional cost of going to Advanced is only $69 over Basic. I believe this is great value and does add a lot more flexibility to your system. (Note - the same upgrade at a later time is $90). Advanced gives access to unlimited controllers and tracks, supports multiple networks, all the wizards, and all the features available in the show builder and scheduler including interactive sequences. It is also the only level that supports DMX and other controllers.

If I was starting now, knowing what I have done, I would choose Advanced.

Regards Geoff

Bird

LOR user
When I started with LOR (2010) I purchased the best version available. I now have S3 Advanced with SuperStar. The total package is awesome to work with. SuperStar has some really great features but you could more than get by with S3 Advanced. I would not reccommend the Basic due to some nice features missing.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
In 2009 i started with LOR basic plus as I had only 4 LOR AC controllers. In 2010 I went to LightShowPro as LOR just couldnt cut it with RGB Lighting. I could never go back to LOR as I believe LSP has far more features and flexability than LOR and there is no way I could have sequenced some of the effects i did with my display using LOR

Robbo

Full time elf
I starter in 2010 with LOR free download of V1 and bought a license then, I think it was only one level at the time, and i got free upgrade to V2 advanced......November 2011 I upgraded to S3 with 2 CCR Superstar option, and now reconsidering my software options as I expand my display.

As FastEddy has said LSP has some advanced features that LOR cannot compete with when it comes to pixels and RGB, so for this purpose I am contemplating getting an LSP license as well as keep my LOR....just to be able to cross examine the 2 side by side as or when i make the trasition

Benslights

Dedicated elf
hi have upgraded to Advance as this year i want to run my boards in dmx so i can add other controllers into the mix. there is a few new things coming out with lor this year. like E1.31 but that will not be out till second half of the year. they have also fixed there software so it is easier to program rgbs but not there rgb strips unless it is there ccr but i hope that will change this year also. but if it was me i would download the demos of all the different softwares and see what one oyu like. no mater what one you choose there is a group of guys on here using it.

dropbear_luke

Full time elf
Thanks all for your input. Im thinking of going LOR S3 Advanced. I see a lot of people go LSP, but as u dont have any rgb or any plans to go rgb in the immediate future i think ill stay LOR.
Thanks again,
Luke

dropbear_luke

Full time elf
oops, i meant "I" dont have any plans for rgb.
Thanks eddy, just keeping it easy for my first year.

Benslights

Dedicated elf
well welcome to the lor side if you have any questions ask away and we will try and help always finding out new things about S3 myself never stop learning. looko forward to seeing what you come up with this year