Which way do I go?

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
I'm stumped and need help. I am replacing my old ledtriks display (84*32) with a Pixel based board and have 2100 pixels to play with. Initially I was planning on 85*24 pixels, but on thinking about it I dont think the height is enough to do decent graphics.

So do I go 85*24 (2040 pixels) and limit graphics a little, but get a nice wide display, or am I better to go to a higher board with less width, say 65*32 (2080 pixels). I dont really want to go much higher than 32 pixels due to the height limitation as the board is located on the front of my house, some 3 meters off the ground, with limited space.

I was planning on a greater pixel spacing, but I think that I'll be sticking to about 25-30mm spacing (Current led is 25mm spacing) as thats a nice resolution to view text and images with.

So, ideas, thoughts, and maybe better sizes please...

Benslights

Dedicated elf
lithgow i think 65 x 32 would be best. that is the way i would go if i had that many pixels. :D

H

harrisonk

What are you going to put the pixels to?

The same way you did your gutterline pixicles?

BrianJ

Full time elf
I don't have a matrix and if I do one it will be a few years into the plan. I did have one thought on this though, I think that if you go to the full height now and want to add on to it next year it would be easier in the sequencing to just add some more columns than if you are adding both rows and columns later.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I think the best way to go is not to decide and just send those pixels to me :D

But failing that, you should be looking at a matrix that can be used to put messages up of differing sizes, so a longer matrix (85x24) will allow you more of the words for larger text to be visible compared to that of 65x32.
I can see your issue and i reakon you should set both matrices up in LSP and have a play and see what works best for you.

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
Eddy, they are 2801 Pixels, you are all 2811's so sorry, they wont suit you ;)

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
Nah Eddy knows my channel count, but I wanted to see if he was really in the Pixel virgin, Pixel free n easy, or Pixel HoHoHo range ;)

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
mutley-pmsl.gif

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
Your just down right disgusting and make the words 'Pixel HoHoHo' look tame :D

If you are going to do something, go big or go home... Not sure if thats appropriate in terms of the HoHoHo bit, but still... :)

kane

Dedicated elf
lithgowlights said:
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
Your just down right disgusting and make the words 'Pixel HoHoHo' look tame :D

If you are going to do something, go big or go home... Not sure if thats appropriate in terms of the HoHoHo bit, but still... :)
So is pixel girth more important than pixel length?

Or is what you do with the pixels more important?