White LED Strobes - PCB design and interest thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
OK here's a little collaboration between myself and Tabor.

Special thanks to Brad Jones for the original idea, it can be found over at DIYC
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=112263#post112263

Tabor and I have chatted about this for days after he asked if i could order some pcb's. The end result is a new, hopefully improved design of the original idea.

What it is, is a White high power LED that has a constant current source and is pulsed on and off by your sequencing software.

The LED driver still needs to be tested and is being ordered for testing however confidence is fairly high it will work as expected.

The board measures 12mm x 18mm and has been designed to fit with the C7 covers Fathead45 cooped.

The following LED's could be used.

8mm x 1W
or
8mm x 0.5W (recommended)
or
3 x 3mm 20,000mcd's at 12v
4 x 3mm 20,000mcd at 24v may be possible

All of the above is subject to full testing before ordering pcbs

The PCB's should be no more that 25c Each and maybe significantly less, depending on final quote from PCB manufacturer.
The led Driver is around 65c in quantity, cent or 2 for the resistor and the cost of the LED.

Bit of silicone and some heatshrink we now have a very bright LED "strobe"

a picture of the PCB is below.

video of LED
strobe

My Thanks to Tabor

If your interested in the PCB please add how many hundred you would like :)

INTEREST IS ONLY FOR THE PCB (at this time)

Cheers
Phil

Attachments

• led strobe3.png
    led strobe3.png
    502.4 KB · Views: 97

Aproct

LURKER
Put me in fro $40 worth..at $.25 a piece...I will put them everywhere!

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
ok i didnt want to but they are cheap so ill be interested in 100 of them. Damn budget is strained as it is ::)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
looks like a bit of interest here with the strobes. The only thing is what to use to control them, it seems a waste to use a dimming channel on somthing that only requires an on and off state, so im wondering if there are any cheap suggestions on what to use or possibly anything simple that could be made.

DanoNJ

Full time elf
I have a question as the use of these. What I want to do is to use a somewhat smaller LED and have these powered up all the time - not connected to a controller. Plan would be to use a standard PC power supply (I'm guessing these are 12vDC.). I would place a number of them in trees in one section of my display and have them 'twinkle'. Now, would these work for this set up??

Status
Not open for further replies.