who can recommend a brand of projector and model

the grinch

I guess I could use a little social interaction
Lg mini beams cool as I now have 2 of them you will pay a little bit more at the checkout but for me has been worthy . Usb hdmi remote control hdtv etc etc so in off season is 120" tv screen in bedroom and many many other features on them and led projectors bulb life 45000 hrs and replacement bulb is below 50 dollars . They also produce a short throw projector really cool 60 cm away can give you a 100" screen but for 2 grand unless was really needed no thanks . But have a search on Google and check it out oh and the first one we bought is totally portable has rechargeable battery can use any where but no tv channel's . Extremely cool gadgets was justified for xmas lights had permission to purchase from the crazylightlady

scamper

Dedicated elf
In all honesty, I just bought a cheap ebay LED projector. It is in it's second year and the cooling fan is noisy, but is still working fine.
If I were to use it for movies other than xmas I would have paid more, spent more time researching and got a better quality.
But it is only for xmas and if I do happen to use it for something else it will be a bonus.

In saying that, if you want it for other things, then the lamp cost and replacement interval is a HUGE factor.
Some of these lamps have a hour life on them and if you go over it, the lamp can blow and blow the power supply at the same time, which can be very expensive.
So do a lot of research and ask service people over sales people!

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I did a lot of research on projectors last year before I bought one and found that there are a lot of differences between projectors. many quote the lumens output for white only when in fact you want to know the RGB lumens output for a true measure of light intensity as the colours will look washed out with lower rated RGB outputs because the colour lumens is only 1/3 of that of the white lumens rating.

I ended up buying an Epson because they are designed to output the colour at the same rating as the white lumens output which gives very vibrant colours.

What you also need to look at is what you are wanting to use the projector for and where it will be used. I got a 4500 lumens output as I was using mine in a room that got a lot of daylight in, so I needed something that would work with lots of ambient light and it can still be used even with the blinds open and the room washed with daylight.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
Fasteddy said:
This is what I got - 4800 lumens EB-1985WU

http://www.epson.com.au/products/projector/EB-1985WU.asp

I got it for under 2K but seems like it may now be discontinued

If you want something with a high lumens output then you are going to pay for it

That's the projector I got, however I bought it from the Epson Clearance centre for $1400. Highly recommend looking at the clearance items. The projector is awesome as I also use it in my games room and needed one that will work well in lite rooms.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Eddy, what about outdoor projection? Need higher lumens than 4500 you quoted or because its dark at night it could be less? Not that I'm going down projection path (yet) but would be interested to know (someone else may be interested too)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
djgra79 said:
Eddy, what about outdoor projection? Need higher lumens than 4500 you quoted or because its dark at night it could be less? Not that I'm going down projection path (yet) but would be interested to know (someone else may be interested too)

One of the reasons I bought such a high output projector was because I had in mind that one day I may use it for this purpose. Its very bright at night even when running in economy mode and when I raise the screen the light goes out the window and shines onto the neighbours house and appears to be more than bright enough on that as I could easily watch TV, so I think it would work well for doing your house. Of course the more lumens the better and brighter it will be but that cost more money and you also have to consider the area you want to cover and how far away the projector will be from the house because this will also determine if you need a model with a short throw lense
I know Steve (superman) uses projection on his house with a lower rated projector but not sure how bright the effect is https://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,5786.msg50593.html#msg50593

But a great place to get an idea on projector specs is the link below as they also state both the brightness lumens and colour lumens and features and have an app that allows you to see the throw distance of various projectors
http://www.projectorcentral.com
Between the calculator and the database on this website then you will be able to find a model that best suits your needs.