Who wants to try out these badboy net lights? there cheap enouth

aussiexmas

Sinnamon Lights
Just a couple of comments:-

I see no mention of outdoor rating on the website. 240V and rain do not mix well.

In one of the comments, the power use was quoted at 180W for a 200 bulb net - that's almost 1 W/bulb. Lot of heat coming from resistors.

Definitely NOT a set I would buy.

Regards Geoff

miked

New elf
My experience with buying cheap net light.

Last year I bought 2 sets of net light on eBay for about $20 per set. I think they were 4MX2M - 200 LED and ran on 240 V
The controller looks same as the type in question. Please see attached. My sets did not have a resistor on each LED. Although it says IP 44 on the controller, I did not think they looked particularly weather tight so did not intend to run in exposed situation. On receiving them I ran one set for a while on the lounge room floor. Looked great. When setting up lights, was showing off these cheap lights I had bought. Turned one set on and was a lovely display with the controller making a loud bang and quite a distinctive blue flash - no LED lighting up though. Off to the bin that set went. As I am a hoarder , couldn't bring myself to bin the other set- hence the photos, but I did notice that on one LED the resistor was exposed through the plastic sleeve ?? - might go the way of the other. I have gone off 240 V net lighting. What I do have is now 24 V.

Attachments

• Net Controller.jpg
    Net Controller.jpg
    709 KB · Views: 17
  • Net LED.jpg
    Net LED.jpg
    742.4 KB · Views: 21

aussiexmas

Sinnamon Lights
Hi Kel

Last year was the first time I used net lights with LOR (as fans under 2 of my arches). They worked very well. BUT when I checked them for this year half the lights had rusted away and they are unuseable & unrepairable. I had planned to use them or similar under all the arches this year, but could not find enough nets to do more than 1 arch. I am now in two minds whether to put them up at all.

As a fall back, I was looking at setting up Big W strings to do the same function, but with the need to be raedy early now, I have abandoned that idea for this year.

In regards to controlling nets from LOR, it's just like controlling any multi channel string or icicle set. The nets I used last year were 4 channel - 1 channel for each colour. It's then just a matter of identifying the common wire out of the controller (usually the wire adjacent to the 2 wire ac input), and then wiich channel controls each colour. You can then run each channel with a DC LOR channel.

Hope this is the info you wanted.

Regards Geoff

uppitt

Apprentice elf
miked said:
My experience with buying cheap net light.

Last year I bought 2 sets of net light on eBay for about $20 per set. I think they were 4MX2M - 200 LED and ran on 240 V
The controller looks same as the type in question. Please see attached. My sets did not have a resistor on each LED. Although it says IP 44 on the controller, I did not think they looked particularly weather tight so did not intend to run in exposed situation. On receiving them I ran one set for a while on the lounge room floor. Looked great. When setting up lights, was showing off these cheap lights I had bought. Turned one set on and was a lovely display with the controller making a loud bang and quite a distinctive blue flash - no LED lighting up though. Off to the bin that set went. As I am a hoarder , couldn't bring myself to bin the other set- hence the photos, but I did notice that on one LED the resistor was exposed through the plastic sleeve ?? - might go the way of the other. I have gone off 240 V net lighting. What I do have is now 24 V.
I did the same thing last year...but the controller blew up in my hand...dropped it like a sack of potatoes. Danger Will Robinson....never using 240V dodgy arsed lights again...I was wary when I say how thin the wire was...and one of the wires broke off in the controller and short circuited to another. I hate to think how many of these are in use here.