Whole roof display

TAC

New elf
Hi folks,

I've searched the forums and haven't seen anyone try this idea, but that doesn't mean it hasn't been tried. It also could mean it's just a stupid idea so feel free to shoot me down!

Has anyone with a corrugated iron roof attempted to attach lights to a series of conduits, and then attached those conduits to the ridges of a corrugated iron roof? I'm still learning so maybe this is the same as a panel, but I'm thinking it's interesting that people outline their tin roof but don't cover it in lights. Based on what I've read here, I figure there's someone out there that would have attempted to cover their whole roof at some stage. Just curious - not something I'd attempt for my first year (!) but would be good to see one if it exists. Thanks!

franky_888

Full time elf
I would have said you're crazy for wanting to cover your whole roof, but seeing at what some people do these days anything is possible if you have the money to do so :)

Personally I use magnets, but I'm not using conduits. Conduit would make the setup too heavy for the magnets I'm using.

If you are willing to pull some roofing screws these may be an option: https://www.bunnings.com.au/deta-20mm-conduit-mounting-clip-2-pack_p4330822 I've read of a few members using these, but I have no specific thread to link you to sorry (I just made a mental note!)

paullyxmas76

Full time elf
I covered my whole roof last year in Pixels....alot of work...alot of 20mm counduit fastened down with conduit clips from bunnings...But worth the effects and effort...all each roof model was a custom model in xlights...BeckinghamPkwy12018.jpg

TAC

New elf
Hey @franky_888, you thought I'd be crazy for doing a whole roof and yet ... here's @paullyxmas76 to show what it looks like. :)

I would have thought magnets would be insufficient in changing weather - I figured they would fail under the hot summer sun.

TAC

New elf
That looks amazing @paullyxmas76
I had to watch the start of it a couple of times to realise there were not floodlights mounted somewhere shining on the whole property - the red lighting right at the start was much brighter than I'd expected. Thank you for sharing!!

Shane G

New elf
Generous elf
Hi TAC, I'm making these magnetic clips up for my roof.
The pics i have won't upload but they are a Deta 20mm conduit clip a piece of 3mm perspex 20 X 25mm and a hole in the middle for a screw. 2 Magnets 20 X 10 X 4 stuck onto the perspex with double sided tape and then rapt in heat shrink tube to water proof magnets so i don't get a rust stain then screw clip to perspex clip onto conduit and your done.
Coast is about $2 per unit and looks like about 1 for every meter needed a bit costly but very fast to put up and take down.
My pics are maybe to big

YttriumNitrat

New elf
This year I'm also planning on attaching lights to metal conduit, and then securing the conduit to my roof. For those of you who have done something similar, are there any recommendations on painting the conduits so that they blend in more with the roof? I was thinking of just using a standard outdoor paint designed for metal, but any ideas would be appreciated. I'm on the northern side, so snow/wind will be more of a problem than blazing heat.