Who's still doing their display in COVID Victoria?

andrewa

Full time elf
Third Step from 26 October 2020 subject to public health advice and if daily average is less than five new cases (state-wide) and less than five cases from unknown sources over the previous 14 days (state-wide total).
• Curfew dropped
• Leave home – no restrictions on reasons or distance travelled
• Public gatherings increased to 10 people outdoors

Last Step from 23 November 2020 subject to public health advice and if no new cases for previous 14 days
• Public gatherings of up to 50 people outdoors

If the people of Vic follow basic rules we might be able to legally do our Christmas displays

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
This is all dependant on the numbers of cases reducing/going in a timely manner. 50 people per night for larger displays may also not be enough.
Personally this should not impact my display too much, but again, too early to make the call.

Side note, given that only 10 people can gather outdoors from Oct 26 onwards (if these dates stick) then this might rule out mid-large Halloween displays this year.

Brett Greenland

New elf
Our show may not proceed for 2020 or if does it will be in a limited form IE Mega tree only by the look of it pending further advise....

Based on the new road map at minimum our character nights will be cancelled as they attract 1-2k each night, We had at least 5 planned this year for the kids to enjoy.

My biggest concern even if we proceeded is the car traffic in the court, My neighbours would be very upset if they cannot get in our out of the street and I will need a bigger Traffic team to manage the court.

The council and I had already been in discussions about a TMR and also needing a secure Cov19 plan.

Feeling pretty sad today from Melton Victoria.

Hopefully some advise may allow us to proceed and if the court neighbours remain onboard

burnt

Full time elf
has anyone thought about how cancellation of displays private/council will increase in traffic for display that going on?
Im thinking may need to ask not to be post on fb or other sites.

battle79

Full time elf
I've decided that at this point I'm just putting up the matrix and that's it. Scroll a message to apologise and tell people we will be back next year bigger than ever. Very sad making that decision, but don't want to upset my neighbours by attracting lots of people at this time.

RAMJET

so much to do so little time
Generous elf
I'm going ahead, I will ask anybody that comes to watch to stay in their car, no donations just enjoy the show. Way to much work and money to stop now. Just my thoughts. Oh, I'm in NSW

Fd340

New elf
Funnily enough, I’ve just decided to jump on board and do some lights for Christmas to try and bring some cheer. No myer windows this year but if I can manage some Christmas lights for My kids and maybe the neighbourhood to enjoy hopefully it makes it for a nicer Christmas.

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
I'm going ahead, I will ask anybody that comes to watch to stay in their car, no donations just enjoy the show. Way to much work and money to stop now. Just my thoughts. Oh, I'm in NSW

I completed my COVID plan yesterday, sent it to the council, and basically it was voiceovers to tell people to stay in their cars, no donations, and simply enjoy the show. I was considering pulling the plug, but I have spent so much this year that I want people to enjoy it, especially considering the crappy year many of us have had.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
I completed my COVID plan yesterday, sent it to the council, and basically it was voiceovers to tell people to stay in their cars, no donations, and simply enjoy the show. I was considering pulling the plug, but I have spent so much this year that I want people to enjoy it, especially considering the crappy year many of us have had.
This is possibly the path I'll take this year, dependant on local rules around public gatherings at the time

Anastasia sidiropoulos

Anastasia (Stacey)
I’m currently planning for the display to go up. Controlling crowd numbers may be an issue though, but we definitely need something positive to look forward too after such a large lockdown. Looking st getting the Covid 1.5 distance stickers for the ground

Brett Greenland

New elf
Hay you got a copy of the COV19 plan you could share? being in a court the traffic flow is really hard to have managed and then you need to consider the neighbours, I am trying to find a loop hole to get my show going. But its not likely....

Brett Greenland

New elf
This is possibly the path I'll take this year, dependant on local rules around public gatherings at the time
The public gathering are the issue in Melbourne, DHHS have highlighted to me if we are creating the attraction we are responsible and could be liable for fines if people gather beyond the limits at the time. Not sure how I can get this done. Traffic flow is hard in a court, People always get out of there car to view the show, and then if we dont close the court, traffic will not be manageable and neighbours will become upset as they cannot get in our out of there homes as cars fight for best location / moving up and down the court.....

cwguinther

New elf
With as much time and money I have spent trying to put together a first show, I am putting it up just to be able to say "I did it!". Because I live in a hard to access community, I never had high hopes of huge amounts of people being able to see it anyway, and with wife being deployed to the middle east, I need to be able to send a video showing her what i've been doing as it sure wasn't cleaning the house.

Srmorgan

Full time elf
I’m from the USA and don’t have to worry about this in my community. But it seems odd to me that somebody can hold the home owner accountable for the public choosing to gather. You as the home owner do not charge or invite people to come. They made that choice and they should be the one held liable. They live in a free country with the right to choose so shouldn’t they also have the right to suffer the consequences.
Now if you want to skip the show this year out of personal conscience that’s fine but you shouldn’t have to skip your show on legal grounds. It just seems odd to me.