Why 170 pixel/output on P12R

Greg.Ca

Apprentice elf
Can someone explain to me as to how or why exactly each output on the P12R can drive exactly 170 pixels? Some of the RGB strips that Ray Wu sells have 60pixels/meter (240 total on a 4 meter strip). See the strip below.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/4m-WS2811-LED-digital-strip-60leds-m-with-60pcs-WS2811-built-in-tthe-5050-smd-rgb/701799_633124138.html'

Since this strip has the pixels very close together, it appears that this strip would work better as a 'dot matrix'. If I place many of these strips one below each other in a matrix, I would get a more symetrical dot matrix. Unfortunately, for some reason unknown to me, my pixel controller will not drive the entire string.

Is it possible in a future firmware upgrade, that my pixel controller could control more than 170 pixels per output? Am I missing something obvious? --Greg--

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Im a simpleton and newbie but my 2c....

These boards are DMX.

DMX = 512 channels

512 channels = 170 RGB channels.

Each universe can only do 512 channels or 170 RGB channels :) Its the maximum that DMX can do.

Greg.Ca

Apprentice elf
Perfect answer!! It never occured to me. Thank you sir!! --Greg--

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
You would use the ECG-P2 if you wanted to use strip that expanded more than 1 universe as this has the ability to do 4 universes of data per output. Unfortunatly you chose the wrong strip for the wrong controller if you were planning on running this strip with a P12R and you are wanting to run it as full strips.
The P2 is $77 per unit with case (8 universes 2 outputs) as where the P12R is $175 (12 universes 12 outputs)

harrison0550

Full time elf
Shell is spot on 170 pixels makes up a universe. Now there are controllers such as the ECG-P2 that will allow you to do more than one per output but its geared more towards yard elements, arches, house lines etc. The P12 was designed for a matrix or a mega tree where you can power and control each string/strip of an element directly from the controller.

Now as far as using those really close together 60 chips per meter pixels to create a matrix. I think there will be more issues than finding a controller to drive them. The software available to us in this hobby is not going to be able to utilize such a tight high resolution playback. If you were trying to playback video across it them you would have to lower the resolution of the video file so much to go into the software we use that it wouldnt of mattered if you bought those strips or used nodes at 3" spacing or strips with 30 chips per meter.

To create such a high resolution matrix it might be easier (and cheaper) to put a projector out there. The short of the long is the viewer is not going to be able to tell if you are rendering texts, pics, gifs, etc whether its 30 ic's per meter or 60 ic's per meter.

Hope that makes sense. ;)