Wifi issues

crazymofo

Apprentice elf
Hi guys
I’ve had some network problems at home that i’ve had to factory reset my asus router. Resetting everything i have ended up renaming the networks and changing passwords. I am now stuck trying to fix my fpp v6.3 on rpi3b+ to change the wifi connection. I am usually pretty good but im having no luck figuring out what im doing wrong.
So currently, i have the ethernet from the pi plugged into my laptop and can access fpp through fpp.local in my browser. Under network config interface i have changed the wifi name and password. But its not filling any DHCP info. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Iain

Full time elf
An obvious question but is your Pi setup to ask for a dhcp address or is it fixed? If your subnet changed when resetting the router that could explain it.

crazymofo

Apprentice elf
I thought it was dhcp (it has been the same setup for the past 2 years). I can put in the known ip address under static and it gives me the netmask and gateway.

crazymofo

Apprentice elf
Got it working. The problem was for some reason the eth0 ip address was set to 192.168.1.1 (correct) but the gateway was set to 192.168.1.1 as well. Changed it to 192.168.0.1 (my router) and setup wlan0 with a static address and it all worked. Not actually sure if i had DHCP setup before as its been a long time since i set it up but its working.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
That doesn't make sense. If eth0 is set to 192.168.1.x, and your home network is 192.168.0.x (assuming subnet mask of 255.255.255.0) this would mean they are on different ranges - and the gateway is actually incorrect for the network.
What it could mean, however, is that the default gateway on the wifi side is not being configured correctly by DHCP, and by entering it into the static addressed eth0 dialog it's forcing it. There can only be one default gateway on a system, and the interface it's configured on is irrelevant, as it's based on the gateway IP. ***

*** Before anyone says it, yes I am aware that there are some exclusions to this, but they are not relevant in the context of FPP / what is being discussed here.

crazymofo

Apprentice elf
Also to add, i learnt that you can connect via the tethered wifi from FPP (named FPP, pword Christmas) and then open fpp.local in your browser to access FPP.

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
If possible, try to stay away from a static IP address on the hardware and use reserved IP addresses from DHCP. This is not always possible for everyone but is the best option in these types of cases. A reserved IP will give you the same IP all the time but if you change the network settings or plug it into a new network it will still be able to get an IP address that you can connect to without a lot of work.

I do this for switching my controllers between my home network and my show network. Saves a lot of playing with IP addresses.