will this power supply work with LED strips

m00987

New elf
I'm upgrading some elements for next years display and I had an idea for centralizing my DC power with a large power supply. Then I can power everything and have some extra capacity for future upgrades. I don't know the differences between a Magnetic Transformer and a PWM power supply. This is a link to a unit that has a built in timer I can set for my show times, and I don't need to build a weatherproof enclosure.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_90952-53027-EE0002BK_4294795203_4294937087_?productId=3069637&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Landscape%2BLighting%2BAccessories_4294795203_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr%7C0%7C%7Cp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=
I haven't seen any posts with people using a similar setup. A large landscape lighting transformer seems quite simple, and they are an off the shelf option from a home improvement store.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
These units may just be drop down tranformers and still output AC, I couldnt find anywhere where it mentioned that they were DC output all that it says is the voltage and leads me to believe that these are just AC transformers to drop down the voltage from mains AC voltage to low AC volatge. So this may not be a good choice especially if running LEDs.

Either way a transformer is not a good choice as you would require a bridge rectifier to convert the signal to DC and this still will not give a clean a signal as using a switch mode power supply.

m00987

New elf
Ok that makes sense. I went to the store to look at the actual box, but it doesn't specify AC or DC either. I'll just look for something else.