Wind, MegaTree Pixel Mount Sails

damona

Full time elf
Just wonder what people do about the wind. Do you have your Bosco Mounting strip tight or lose so they flex in the wind?
Or do you just pull the Mega Tree down when the wind picks up.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
I have them tight and they have been fine with wind gusts of 100km/hr. You just need to make sure the pole is secure or the strips can create a wind sail and pull or bend the pole. I use a 50mm Gal pole and 3 main tie downs with two back up ones to make sure it doesn't move. I also have a winch setup so if it is going to be two windy (above 110km/hr) then I can just winch the lights down.

damona

Full time elf
I have a aluminium pole, with four guy wires connect to the top. The guy wires let the pole flex a few cm at the top, so the force of the support wires is not directed downwards. Many moons ago I was tenting. The rope support for a tent centre pole was too tight, wind came along, and the pole bent in half as it had no other way to go. If no one suggest otherwise I will tie the base down next year so the mounting strip remain tight.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
My main pole is 40mm square galv tubing, and I have a 50mm square galv tube concreted into the ground (about 550mm deep)
This is enough to keep the main pole quite secure but it does have a little bit of movement in the wind. My strands are 25mm black poly webbing, so naturally moves about well, only secured at the top and bottom.

Dez

Fueled by Christmas - Inspired by You!
I don’t have a tree yet but I would have the strips tight and use some big springs around the bottom which can take up any wind gusts. I kept all the old springs from a kids trampoline which would be perfect for this

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
For the bottom of the strips I actually use big HoHoHo cable ties, that way when the Boscoyo strips stretch with the heat etc I can keep tightening the cable ties (usually once a week)