Wire gauge and other questions

JordoLights

New elf
Hi Guys, already planning out this coming year's display. It's only 321 days before the 1st of December 😆. Hoping to get some of your input.

Planning to upgrade my setup and use Alan's @AAH HE123 as my main controller this year. Also using some Power8's to distribute power around. Power source would be 2x LRS-350-5 PSU's. I will have roughly around 3,300 5v pixels @ 30% brightness.

Below is a simple diagram that I quickly did for this post. So my questions are:

1. If I use 10AWG wire for all the V+ and V- connections below, would that suffice? Is tinned copper wire core material okay to use?
2. Can I use only 1x mains cable to power up both power supplies?
3. I read that the V- is already linked in all the ports of the HE123 and Power8's. Do I still need to link up the V- for both power supplies? If so, is it just a matter of connecting a 10awg wire from one of the V- ports of PSU #1 to PSU #2?
4. What kind of terminal block would you recommend?

Edit: Power8 #1 and #2 will only power inject to props connected to HE123 Ports 1-8. Likewise, Power8 #3 & #4 will only power inject to props connected to HE123 Ports 9-16.

I'm all ears for any suggestions or even better layout than what I'm planning. Thanks in advance.
1642127243984.png

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Hi Guys, already planning out this coming year's display. It's only 321 days before the 1st of December 😆. Hoping to get some of your input.

Planning to upgrade my setup and use Alan's @AAH HE123 as my main controller this year. Also using some Power8's to distribute power around. Power source would be 2x LRS-350-5 PSU's. I will have roughly around 3,300 5v pixels @ 30% brightness.

Below is a simple diagram that I quickly did for this post. So my questions are:

1. If I use 10AWG wire for all the V+ and V- connections below, would that suffice? Is tinned copper wire core material okay to use?
from the power supplies to the power8's I would run at least a pair, for short lengths even 14AWG would be fine, apart from some neatness the terminal block is excess for the power8's
2. Can I use only 1x mains cable to power up both power supplies?
Yes
3. I read that the V- is already linked in all the ports of the HE123 and Power8's. Do I still need to link up the V- for both power supplies? If so, is it just a matter of connecting a 10awg wire from one of the V- ports of PSU #1 to PSU #2?
NO, and if the HE123 doesn't have split inputs then this isn't a good idea all round
4. What kind of terminal block would you recommend?
Personally i wouldn't bother, they just add two connection points that really don't need to be there
Edit: Power8 #1 and #2 will only power inject to props connected to HE123 Ports 1-8. Likewise, Power8 #3 & #4 will only power inject to props connected to HE123 Ports 9-16.

I'm all ears for any suggestions or even better layout than what I'm planning. Thanks in advance.
I don't know the HE123 enough for full confidence on the supply connections

Reactions: AAH

JordoLights

New elf
Thanks for getting back. Only reason I added the terminal blocks is because the power supplies only have 3x outputs for V+ and V-, but I would need 6 outputs for each power supply to be able to connect 2x Power8's (has 2x power inputs) and 2x power inputs of the HE123 port 1-8.

Are you suggesting just to piggy back 2x 14awg cables on each of the 3x outputs on each power supply?

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
The image is for the concept
2x14AWG will fit into the yellow sized crimp connections, get the yellow fork ones for the PSU end.
if not them yes two blue fork connections and place them back to back under the PSU screw connection
Cheers

Edit: that setup i use for testing PSU to e-load for load testing,
P1140065.jpg

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
NO, and if the HE123 doesn't have split inputs then this isn't a good idea all round
HE123 has independent Positive rails - four banks of 4 outputs fused & tied to one input per group - with no connection between the positive rails there.
The Negative / Ground rail is joined however - which is obviously required for the data to work - and I believe what Jordo was asking about?

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
HE123 has independent Positive rails - four banks of 4 outputs fused & tied to one input per group - with no connection between the positive rails there.
The Negative / Ground rail is joined however - which is obviously required for the data to work - and I believe what Jordo was asking about?
Thanks for that info. Still going to stick with no for joining ground at the supplies then in addition to them being common on the board.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Agreed. Whilst minimal it could create an earth loop which could do all sorts of fun with the data signal and is a PITA to diagnose.