Wireless DMX

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
I bought a set of Lixada brand off ebay, 1 Tx and 4 Rx, a few years ago after @Fing (I think) demonstrated them at a mini. The set was about $160.
They work OK, but you either have to recharge them every few days or have power to them. Ended up not using them in my display as was able to run cable to my first unit and all the other DMX devices are within a metre or so of that. Could be handy if one of your DMX fixtures is a long way, or difficult to run cable to, from the rest of the fixtures or controller.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
What application are you thinking of using wireless?
The other thing to consider is power. Whilst you might be able to use wireless DMX system to get the data to the item/fixture, does the item/fixture itself need power cable to it? If so, why not just runa data cable along with it as it is most likely more reliable.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
If the data is starting out as E1.31, I think there is a version of the ESPixelStick code that can do DMX output. I have a PCB that has provision for the DMX components but have never tried loading DMX code for it.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
If the data is starting out as E1.31, I think there is a version of the ESPixelStick code that can do DMX output. I have a PCB that has provision for the DMX components but have never tried loading DMX code for it.

this sounds promising.

I do need power out to the prop (Snow machine) but that’s not an issues. The issue is depending on wind I may have to move it from one side of the driveway to the other, so would need to 20m DMX cables as they would need to be hidden and part way under ground. Two cables is $70 so a wireless DMX from ebay is cheaper.

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
As i said earlier, wireless DMX device is ideal if difficult to run cable, as per your issue @ChristmasInKaralee
If I ever set my DMX LED Bubble machine to run DMX (currently just use remote fob) I'd have that hooked up via a wireless DMX Rx.
Seeing as it's a device you probably bring in each night then a rechargeable one is going to be OK. You'll be able to put it on charge overnight and you won't have to run another powercord and/or powerboard to where your snow machine is.

algerdes

Al Gerdes
We use units that look identical to what you show in the images. Living within the constraints of only 512 channels on each transmitter, you can do quite a bit with one. In our case, we fed dumb RGB controller boards (DMX based) and AC controllers (also DMX based). The first year we used a USB to DMX dongle to feed them. Since the third year they are being fed from one of the Falcon F16's serial outputs (usually #3 on each board.) They came in quite handy feeding signal across a road with AC lights on each side. Note that we did not use them this year since we went totally pixel, no AC or dumb RGB in the display.