wireless matrix sign build idea

RiverBendLights

Apprentice elf
I'm trying to develop a wireless matrix sign that I can put at the end of my neighborhood to direct people to the show and display a countdown to the next show. I was thinking of using WS2812B 12V pixels and pi with falcon to control the matrix. The plan was to store the file on the pi to prevent lag over wireless, but then basically signal when to start and stop the matrix show file over wireless on my show network using falcon. I was going to mount one of these outdoor access points on my house and one near the matrix to improve the wireless connection (about .25-.5 miles away from house). Does anyone see a reason why this wouldn't work or is there a better way I should be doing this?

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
If you're not running a continuous show then you could create a show for the matrix and schedule and run that off FPP with no need to have any connection between the 2. As long as the clocks are synched between the 2 then there would be no need to have any connectivity.

RiverBendLights

Apprentice elf
If you're not running a continuous show then you could create a show for the matrix and schedule and run that off FPP with no need to have any connection between the 2. As long as the clocks are synched between the 2 then there would be no need to have any connectivity.

That's probably the easiest method. I'm still curious of any doable long range network possibilities if anyone has any ideas.

Edit: Could I just use a f4v3 for this matrix and store the show file on an sd card?

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
The F4 doesn't appear to have a clock on it so it would some sort of network and/or internet connectivity in order to have access to time to get things to play on time. A Pi and a cape with a RTC on it allows full standalone operation.

BenF

New elf
Do you have line of site between your house and where the sign is going to be placed? 5GHz although has greater bandwidth does suffer interference from objects and anything in the Fresnel zone will impact the link. If you are going down the wireless path then line of sight is required. You can buy point to point access points in the 900+ MHz range (check your countries unlicensed range) that would suit better as they do not suffer as much from interference and with this use case bandwidth is not an issue.

marmalade

cats & pixels
there's a library now to play fseq's in conjunction with wled for esp devices, which will minimise wifi traffic significantly.

scamper

Dedicated elf
While I am not up to date with running wifi across multiple Pi devices etc (no need as my yard is small)
I did buy a similar wifi extender to try and get wifi in my shed out the back. There was a bit of mucking around and ultimately I went down a different path, but what I can say is that I could pick up wifi from all over the neighbourhood including the free wifi that my local country town transmits in the CBD which is at least 2km away (over a mile)