Wiring verandah Posts

burto51

Full time elf
Generous elf
Hello all, I know that this is not the correct section, but closest I could find. My question:

I have 6 verandah posts, each with 29 RGB lights mounted vertical. Number one post is connected to a falcon with data, gnd and 12 volt, the other posts are daisy chained to 1 in ascending order,
My question when wiring is it necessary for the Cat 6 cable to follow from start of post 1, then from the end of post 1 to the start of post 2 and so on. OR could you have the Cat 6 cable fitted with 6 outlets each going to each post, ie all posts connected in parallel rather than series.
Would it be possible if the posts were not daisy chained with the first light of each post identified by the universe and the next available channel.
Seems like the use of a of cable to run in series. Any suggestions
Regards
Burto

ezellner

Full time elf
If I understand correctly, you need to wire the end of string 1 to the beginning of string 2, etc. if the data is coming from a single output on your controller. You cannot wire in parallel if your setup assumes they are a continuous string. If you were to wire each post to a separate output, you could run separate Cat 6 cable to each, in effect parallel. Think of the data from a controller output as a long string of ordered information that tells each pixel what to do from the first pixel to the last. As the data enters the beginning of the first string, the first pixel removes its info and passes the remainder of the string to the next pixel. With each pixel, there is one less piece of info until the last pixel which gets only one piece of info and has nothing else to pass on. Hope that makes sense.

burto51

Full time elf
Generous elf
Thanks ezeliner for your response, understand what you are saying; I was afraid of that, it looks like I shall have to make up more Cat 6 leads to go from the last pixel on each verandah post to the first pixel on the next post. With each post being 2100mm and 2400mm apart (7 feet and 8 feet for you folks); that is 5 leads at 4500mm or 15 feet; just what I was trying to avoid. Oh well its only cable.
Thanks again
Burto

burto51

Full time elf
Generous elf
Thanks to all, one thing that confuses me is the different views expressed on this site, for example I read recently "that a falcon should be good to transmit data for 20 metres but to be safe allow 15 metres , another that each pixel "boosts or amplifies the data signal" as the data is passed on.
So in my case,
the distance from the falcon to post 1 is 3 metres Do I need a pixel buffer ?
the distance from the end of post 1 to the start of post 2 is 4.5 metres Again do I need a pixel buffer here again ?
is there a requirement to repeat this for every post to post ?
Where do you place the pixel buffer at the Falcon output or at the connection to Post 1.
Do you place the pixel buffer at the start of the long cable or at the end.
I am appreciate the help.
Regards
Burto

ezellner

Full time elf
Thanks to all, one thing that confuses me is the different views expressed on this site, for example I read recently "that a falcon should be good to transmit data for 20 metres but to be safe allow 15 metres , another that each pixel "boosts or amplifies the data signal" as the data is passed on.
So in my case,
the distance from the falcon to post 1 is 3 metres Do I need a pixel buffer ?
the distance from the end of post 1 to the start of post 2 is 4.5 metres Again do I need a pixel buffer here again ?
is there a requirement to repeat this for every post to post ?
Where do you place the pixel buffer at the Falcon output or at the connection to Post 1.
Do you place the pixel buffer at the start of the long cable or at the end.
I am appreciate the help.
Regards
Burto
You should not require a pixel buffer/extender between your Falcon and the first pixel. They are close enough. The issue occurs downstream where there is a large distance between the last pixel on the first post and the first pixel on the second (and last pixel on second post to first pixel on the third post, etc.). You will need to boost the data signal between posts because the chips in the pixels that repeat the data stream for the next pixel don't boost the signal enough to go the 4.5 meters. They are designed to make it to a next pixel that is relatively close (less than a meter - I haven't tested this to see how far they can go before the signal deteriorates and things go awry). You can do a quick test to see if your setup will work without the buffers/extenders. You might get lucky.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Being a DIY hobby, trial and error is all part of the fun! We are just giving you more info to consider as everyone encounters different results. If we said flat out that you don't need them and you tested it and it didn't work, you'd think we didn't know what we were talking about!
As stated above, its not from controller to pixels, its further down the line that you may end up with data issues. Wire thickness/gauge, voltage drop, brightness, etc etc are all things that could help change your actual outcome.

Ralphyf1

Full time elf
Gday Burto,
From My Falcon to my first pixel on the pole was about 9m and this first run of pixels worked flawlessly.
My last pixel on this pole to first pixel on next pole was about 4m. It did not work.
I installed a pixel extender next to the 'last' pixel on each pole and then I had no problems at all. There are a number available but I used the one's from Hanson Electronics. Hope that helps

burto51

Full time elf
Generous elf
Thanks to all who took the time to answer, only got back online now my apologies, Well you have all answered my question and set me straight, now I know where I am going in regards to this. So it will be a pixel buffer between each post fitted after the last pixel; power injection is all sorted, am running data and gnd only from the Falcon, voltage applied before the first post, and further injection at the 4 th post and then at the end of the 6th post, light intensity set to 50%.
Again thanks for setting me straight and your help
Regards
Burto

MrX

New elf
Are you wiring them up so that the start of each post is in the same place on each one? ie top or bottom? Not sure if it works for you but it may be possible to simplify the wiring by effectively creating a zig zag pattern, so for example if the start of post 1 is at the bottom so the start of post 2 is then at the top and so on. That way you are not taking the data all the way back down post 1 and then over to post 2 etc.

burto51

Full time elf
Generous elf
Thanks MrX, I will have them starting at the same place all on the bottom, thanks for the response.
Burto